Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

high CO emissions

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: high CO emissions

price the dealer if it is not much more than aftermaket and if you plan on keeping the truck for another 14 years go with the dealer cat. Walker or eastern make a decent aftermarket. Nothing will last as long as oem
Old January 17th, 2009, 9:47 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Did you get the truck through emissions? If so what was wrong?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 8:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High CO means you are over-fueling, but burning it (strong ignition system).
Have you checked the $30 O2 for being stuck low?
The thermostat for opening early?

Sounds like you live in a non dyno-run emissions county (no NOx). A decently tuned engine should pass a idle/reved up test w/out even having a cat!
Old January 23rd, 2009, 3:44 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd be checking the O2 as well, Also maybe running a quality injector cleaner through it or getting a shop to clean the injectors.
Before you replace the cat, you can have it tested if a shop has the equipment do so. Like a tech has already told you, the first tell tale sign, is a temp difference. Using a temp gun, after the engine has been fully warmed up read the temp pre and post cat. It should be 100 degrees hotter post cat.
If it is hotter pre cat, then your looking at a plugged converter. If the temp is the same, then there is more than likely a hole melted through the middle of it, or someone has knocked the honeycomb out of it.
You can also drill holes pre and post cat and take readings to see if the cat is performing properly
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

If the 02 was stuck lean/low pcm would dump fuel that was truely not needed Which would intern rasie the HC reading. HC is unbured fuel. TRUCK PASSED HC PERFECTLY,not even close to limit. So where did it go?
Old January 24th, 2009, 8:07 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It burned. Just because there is more fuel entering the combustion chamber, doesn't mean is cannot be burned
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

It can not burn all of it especially at idle and HC is not elevated. Also that would not be very efficent which would make the co2 come way down. This reading is perfect not going to get much better on a vehicle of this age. Have you ever actually seen a vehicle with a bad 02 on a 5 gas analyzer. We have 2 at my shop, I use them daily. The other possiblity is the truck was not conditioned properly for the test (hot enough) which would raise the co reading. I have had many customers drive 5-10 min to the test station and fail only to bring it to me, I drive it put it on our 5 gas analyzer and number are perfect. The customer returns to the test with a fully warm engine and passes with no repairs
Old January 26th, 2009, 5:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH, yeah, throw a new cat at it. After you pass this year and fail next, look into why you are over-fueling.