Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Holiday Trip #'s

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2007 | 8:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Holiday Trip #'s

I took a little trip over the holidays and before hitting the roadI cleared the trip computer. Here's the results.

Total Mileage = 917.7
Total Gallons Used = 50.0
Average MPG = 18.3
Bend area to Seattle area (one way) = 5 hours, 44 minutes,51 seconds
Odometer Total To Date = 2561

There's so much technology in these new hoe's that I either don't care about or will never use that I keep laughing at myself for getting so into the trip computer. You've got to admit, it's fun to play around with and watch.
Old January 3rd, 2007 | 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Holiday Trip #'s

I agree...I keep scrolling through them all. Funny though, my old '94 Honda wagon I just traded in on the Tahoe (dealership actually gave me a few bucks for it) had a busted gas gauge for years. So as not to run out of gas, I would always hit the trip reset and knew I had about 350-370 miles before she was empty. I still do that with the Tahoe!

We traveled over the holidays as well and I was surprised I got about the same tank mileage as the Honda and my wife's old Chevy Venture. After first setting out on a full tank, I had to refill after about 350 miles and was a little better than a 1/4 tank after completing the other 250 miles (600 mile trip).

While it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, stepping on the gas to get around traffic on the Interstate took a big gulp on the gas gauge. The cruise control is definitely your friend. I'm not sure what my average MPG was (I'm sure someone can do the math with the above figures, but not me) as I didn't bother tp pay attention to that.

I must say, with a wife and three kids loaded down with Christmas presents and luggage, the Tahoe made for a nice ride. No family Truckster here!
Old January 4th, 2007 | 1:41 AM
CF Veteran

Did the computer calculation match up well with hand calculation?
Old January 4th, 2007 | 11:39 PM
CF Beginner

Is your's 4WD or 2WD? What speed were you normally driving?

We took a trip from Colorado to Idaho over the holidays, driving I-80 for about 1/2 and highways for the other. Going 80mph on the Interstate I notice it ate into the mileage, but for the whole trip of 600 miles each way, we only averaged 16.5mpg. Drove with it in 2WD for 95% of the time. I'm feeling pretty sour about the mileage I am getting. Almost 6,000 on the odo and it is not improving.
Old January 4th, 2007 | 11:52 PM
CF Addict

Mine averages about 14, I would love 16.5 average.
Old January 5th, 2007 | 12:00 AM
CF Junior Member

I second that bigleg!! I am only averaging 14 also and I dont drive aggressivly either. Probably has something to do with those 3:44 gears. I almost never go into V4 mode unless I am going downhill with a strong tailwind!!
Old January 5th, 2007 | 12:14 AM
CF Addict

I can tell you right now, mine is all because of TIRE size. When I first got it with 17's, i averaged around 18-20. Then went to factory 20's, went down to about 16-18, now with 24's I always get around 14.

I think your gears are probably 3:43's. I want to upgrade to 4:10s, it might help with the larger wheel/tire combo, but I am to scared to even ask the dealer on the cost!
Old January 5th, 2007 | 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

I have the factory 20's with the 4.10 gears, so should be getting better. With mixed driving highway and city I only get 14, so don't feel too bad. I was so dang excited to see it go above 16 for the first time out on the highway! But where is the 18-20 we were supposed to get?!
Old January 5th, 2007 | 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Go for true lockers when you have it apart for the 4.10 change?

ORIGINAL: biglg

I can tell you right now, mine is all because of TIRE size. When I first got it with 17's, i averaged around 18-20. Then went to factory 20's, went down to about 16-18, now with 24's I always get around 14.

I think your gears are probably 3:43's. I want to upgrade to 4:10s, it might help with the larger wheel/tire combo, but I am to scared to even ask the dealer on the cost!
Old January 5th, 2007 | 2:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Went to St. Louis and back. Going we had a strong north wind and we averaged 17.5 going up. Coming back we had a pretty good south wind but it died down by the time we headed straight south and when we pulled in the driveway the average was 19.1. Wife drives the Hoe during the week and when I get in it on the weekends it registers around 17-19 around town. We have 20" tires with the3:73 gears I believeand the odometer is about to roll over the 20k mark. She only works 3 miles from the house but runs errands a lot in town and still manages to get the better than avertised city mileage. Guess we are just lucky. Of course when summer comes or it is real cold out the averages go down when utilizing the remote start and having the heat/ac on a lot.

Quick Reply: Holiday Trip #'s