Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

i have a 98 suburban and my rear defroster quit

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2017, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a 98 suburban and my rear defroster quit

I checked fuse under hood and cleaned brass connections at both barn doors still no joy. I should mention that before it went out completely the drivers side glass was working. Now nothing. any ideas?
Old December 10th, 2017, 2:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned Roadmaster wagons for 20 years. This past winter I decided to buy a Yukon XL, as we are northerners who winter in the south, figuring it would be easy to haul are stuff down south. I found a 2001 Yukon XL from GA while we were wintering, with only 100K on it. It had a few piddly things wrong with it, but nothing a car guy couldn't take of. The last on my list was the barn door locks and rear defroster would not work. I tried cleaning the contacts on the door, replacing the solenoid / actuator's with used one's from the JY. No luck, the problem had me baffled.

One day, as I do periodically, I checked all the lights, to make sure everything is working. I noticed one of the number plate lights was not working. I replaced it. Later that day, I went someplace and locked the doors that would lock with the key FOB. I noticed that when the lights flashed, the number plate lights flashed also. They had never done that. Sure enough, after I replaced the number plate light, the barn doors locked and the defroster worked. I have no explanation of what happened, other than somehow it completed a circuit. I am also an electrician for 40 years.

Don't know if this is your problem, but it was mine.

Good Luck

Tom

Last edited by Silverfox103; December 10th, 2017 at 2:14 PM.
Old December 12th, 2017, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile amazing

Originally Posted by Silverfox103
I have owned Roadmaster wagons for 20 years. This past winter I decided to buy a Yukon XL, as we are northerners who winter in the south, figuring it would be easy to haul are stuff down south. I found a 2001 Yukon XL from GA while we were wintering, with only 100K on it. It had a few piddly things wrong with it, but nothing a car guy couldn't take of. The last on my list was the barn door locks and rear defroster would not work. I tried cleaning the contacts on the door, replacing the solenoid / actuator's with used one's from the JY. No luck, the problem had me baffled.

One day, as I do periodically, I checked all the lights, to make sure everything is working. I noticed one of the number plate lights was not working. I replaced it. Later that day, I went someplace and locked the doors that would lock with the key FOB. I noticed that when the lights flashed, the number plate lights flashed also. They had never done that. Sure enough, after I replaced the number plate light, the barn doors locked and the defroster worked. I have no explanation of what happened, other than somehow it completed a circuit. I am also an electrician for 40 years.

Don't know if this is your problem, but it was mine.

Good Luck

Tom
WOW, thanks for the tip, I will check those lights tomorrow. I hope I find one of them out, that could be it. I'll let you know how I did.
Thanks again for the suggestion. I love my Suburban and I hope I can fix this before winter really set in.