Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

i may have resolved my oil leak issues.

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2014, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i may have resolved my oil leak issues.

hello all,

this may be helpful to the newbies. bout 2 years ago, i discovered my wife's 02 suburban was burning up oil. it was a mystery.

i replaced the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. thru the course of time, i also replaced the oil pressure sending unit, the oil level sensor by oil pan, new oil level sensor connector, and new valve cover gaskets with new bolts. it seemed like it was leaking out of the valve covers. cleaned it all up but problem resurfaced again in 2 oil changes.

the final area that i dealt with is on top. the intake area. removed the intake plenum, changed out the intake manifold gaskets, cleaned everything up real good and shiny, replaced my knock sensors while in there, replaced knock sensor harness, cleaned up valley, and replaced the metal gasket under the center valley cover. it's a metal gasket.

offhand, i don't have part numbers, nor is everything i do in the above listed order. all i can say is lots of cleaning and new gaskets and stuff.

so far so good, but then again, it was really hard to tell if it even acted erratically at all. hopefully, this is the fix.

for the new guys, there are a few places that it will leak, and the hardest to spot are the ones that do not show any external leaks. good luck and hope this info helps.
Old May 31st, 2014, 10:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now about your signature. Did you upgrade the FICM and its power supply? Or the coolant to oil cooler? those two are major killers...
Old June 1st, 2014, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
now about your signature. Did you upgrade the FICM and its power supply? Or the coolant to oil cooler? those two are major killers...
Ficm is upgraded with better components but maintained at 48v. Egr cooler is deleted. Went with complete kit which includes stainless steel exhaust up-pipe. I've got too many mods to list.
Old February 10th, 2016, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

here is my update after a long time...... just replaced the driver side valve cover with the updated one that does not include a PCV valve. also, tore into the top side again and did the valve seals. boy, it was a pain. new spark plugs and new wires. cleaned up some more. so far, so good.

but i figured out where all the oil or most of it went. down the exhaust tail pipe. annoying. most of my valve seals were completely worn out. suburban has a little more giddy up and go. now, it's all a matter of waiting until the dreaded oil change. have a great day y'all!