Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

I may have a serious problem!! Please advise

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2020, 12:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I may have a serious problem!! Please advise

Information: 2 weeks ago, I purchase a 2011 Suburban 2500 with low miles. Very low. I got a build sheet before buying from GM and it looks like this Suburban came into the dealership as a government vehicle. Looked at the car, she ran great, She was pretty and she didn't smell like someone smoked in it. Remember, I am not an expert and I don't work on my own cars. So I bought it. Signed the papers ( All cash deal) and dealership said she was never salvaged and had a clean title!! You know where this goes...

2 weeks later I go get the stereo changed. Guy looks under the hood and all the screws and manifold have rust in the engine compartment. "This car was flooded" he says. He shows me the pitting marks on the wheels that looks like algae on the metal. He shows me the carpet which is rising. He shows me the chassis which shows big time rust formation.

He shows me new paint under the carriage. He shows all the signs that the dealership is trying to hide something. I do a VIN check. Nothing suspicious.

Now he has me all freaked out. I am going to 2 mechanics tomorrow. 1 I guy I trust and 2 Another Cheyv dealership.

What should I ask the the mechanics to look at?
Can some wash a title to clean it up to see to consumer? Is that fraud?

This does not feel right

I feel this forum has enough experience to guide my questions to the mechanics (maybe to some lawyers)

Thanks
Worried Suburban owner
Old August 26th, 2020, 11:50 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Flood cars are the automotive equivalent of leprosy. Run away. Run away fast.

It could be that since it was a government vehicle, no insurance claim was made, so no change to the title status. It's the insurance companies that advise the state that a vehicle has been declared a total loss.

Is this a new car dealership (Chevy, Ford, Etc) or a used car place? If it's a new car dealership, then you should be ok, because they'll do anything and everything to protect their online/social media reputation. However, if it's a used car dealership, you're probably going to have to get a lawyer involved. I'll assume you bought a 2011 2500 with low mileage significantly higher than small claims court dollars.

Assuming it's a Chevy dealership, and it is indeed a flood car, they should take it back and refund your money, no questions asked. If not, a call to GM would probably help "convince" them to do the right thing.

Document everything - take it to your mechanic, take pictures, have him do a write-up/inspection report, and then go back to the dealer and demand they take it back and issue a full refund.
Old August 26th, 2020, 4:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can post some pictures it would be helpful. It's always possible these things get into the system but that's a big leap to make from what you are telling us. Poor maintenance and a rough life are common to see and they can destroy a car - no fraud intended.

Remember it is a 9 year old vehicle, and depending on where it the country it lived, rust can be a killer, no cause beyond driving in the winter or not keeping it clean. Just something like forgetting a window is down in the rain can leave a lot of water damage inside too.

If you are really after a deep inspection to tell you for sure - have the shop pull the carpets out and look inside the wiring connectors, and modules close to the floor. If they have really been wet as in underwater, then they will be obviously green with corrosion.