Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

I need your help to identify this Suburban in a police investigation...

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your help to identify this Suburban in a police investigation...

Greetings, All.

I am a detective with the Lakeland, Florida Police Department assigned to the Violent Crimes Unit. I have been working an alleged kidnapping of a 75 year old man, who claims that he was taken by force shortly after having cashed a check for $5000.00. Needless to say, this are some things that don't add up at this point; however, I have developed a suspect vehicle-a white Chevrolet Suburban-from traffic camera videos. I know that this model is between 2000 and 2006. But, some of the features have led me to narrow down my model year window to 2001 or 2002. I have noted that there is black body-side molding with white handles and mirror caps. There is a low-profile antenna on the driver's side of the roof and it appears that the wheel wells are flared. There is either a chrome gas cap or magnet on the fuel door (help me decide which). It appears that the wheels are factory, but I can't tell which design they are.

The Florida motor vehicle database allows us to search for vehicles by year, make and model, but it is quite detailed on which engine model to choose from C1500, K1500, C2500 or K2500. The model in question doesn't appear to be a 2500, but I am willing to accept being wrong at this point. Wasn't there a point where "1500" or "2500" placed in badging on the sides near the front wheels? This one doesn't appear to have those. Is there anything with this vehicle that you folks can help me narrow down the year and engine to refine my search. There are quite a bit of white Suburbans in Florida making it a daunting task to check all of them.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Det. Brian Wallace
Lakeland Police Department
Lakeland, Florida
Attached Thumbnails I need your help to identify this Suburban in a police investigation...-socrum-walt-loop-resized.jpg   I need your help to identify this Suburban in a police investigation...-walgreens-suburban-resized.jpg   I need your help to identify this Suburban in a police investigation...-walgreens-suburban-2-resized.jpg   I need your help to identify this Suburban in a police investigation...-walt-loop-resized.jpg   I need your help to identify this Suburban in a police investigation...-walt-loop-2-resized.jpg  

Old August 1st, 2011, 9:52 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1500

I believe the 2500s all had orange / red markers on their rear wheel arches. But I could be wrong.
Old August 1st, 2011, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

So you want us to do your work for you detective?
Old August 1st, 2011, 8:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by InvestiGator169
Greetings, All.

I am a detective with the Lakeland, Florida Police Department assigned to the Violent Crimes Unit. I have been working an alleged kidnapping of a 75 year old man, who claims that he was taken by force shortly after having cashed a check for $5000.00. Needless to say, this are some things that don't add up at this point; however, I have developed a suspect vehicle-a white Chevrolet Suburban-from traffic camera videos. I know that this model is between 2000 and 2006. But, some of the features have led me to narrow down my model year window to 2001 or 2002. I have noted that there is black body-side molding with white handles and mirror caps. There is a low-profile antenna on the driver's side of the roof and it appears that the wheel wells are flared. There is either a chrome gas cap or magnet on the fuel door (help me decide which). It appears that the wheels are factory, but I can't tell which design they are.

The Florida motor vehicle database allows us to search for vehicles by year, make and model, but it is quite detailed on which engine model to choose from C1500, K1500, C2500 or K2500. The model in question doesn't appear to be a 2500, but I am willing to accept being wrong at this point. Wasn't there a point where "1500" or "2500" placed in badging on the sides near the front wheels? This one doesn't appear to have those. Is there anything with this vehicle that you folks can help me narrow down the year and engine to refine my search. There are quite a bit of white Suburbans in Florida making it a daunting task to check all of them.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Det. Brian Wallace
Lakeland Police Department
Lakeland, Florida
First of all, two options:
a. Ebay, you can search what they have online as to how it matches the description generally;
b. your Chevy dealer, should have a bunch of used ones on the lot and the Service Department should be able to isolate specific details on the body styling.
======
c. There are no fender flares on this car. Photo 1.
d. Cs are 2wd; Ks are 4wd. Basic significance is in ride height with Ks generally taller than Cs. Also fender flares on the Chevrolets would be black PVC or painted in contrast the to body color(2 tone options), unless it was an LS(see e.). Now, the GMC models WOULD have flares that matched the body color, but this one is badged on the tailgate and grilled as a Chevy.

The difference I think exists in the Photo 4 of the ride height front v. rear makes me think this IS a 2wd, so a C and not a K. But I m not 100% sure because the camera is elevated so it alters the perception.

e. The key to the body moulding is to ascertain what trim model it is. There is the base(Cheyenne), intermediate(LT & Silverado) and premium (LS).

Black moulding peripherally makes me exclude LS(it would have flares matching the body color) and since it appears the mirror backing cover matches the body color of the car it also can exclude the base model Cheyenne. I say LT/Silverado trim level.

f. 3 engine options related to demarcation. Only 2 engine options should be available in each demarc. For ex. 1500(halfton) should only have the bottom two available 5.3 & 6.0L(regardless of being a C or a K). The 2500 should have the 6.0 & 8.1L and the 3500(1 ton-I speculate all of these were built as Ks-4wds and very few Cs would be offered in the LT/Silverado trim line) also having the 6.0, 8.1L and a diesel option. But this car IS NOT a 3500.

So I say it looks as this car is a 2000-06 Chev. Suburban LT/Silverado C1500 5.3L V8. Hope that helps?

Last edited by RacerX; August 1st, 2011 at 9:09 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

IvestiGator169: Welcome to the forum.

My wife's 2004 Tahoe has body colored factory flares and is the LT model which is the premium model. The LS is the base model and the Z/71 was an option package. I think the black side moldings were on the earlier years of that body style.

Hope this and the others help.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoe
So you want us to do your work for you detective?
So trying to get info on the vehicle is not doing work?

Old August 2nd, 2011, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Another thing to ask is when did the Suburban go from DRLs in the headlight to DRLs in the parking lights. In photo #5 the DRLs are amber and in the parking/turn signal area.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX
First of all, two options:
a. Ebay, you can search what they have online as to how it matches the description generally;
b. your Chevy dealer, should have a bunch of used ones on the lot and the Service Department should be able to isolate specific details on the body styling.
======
c. There are no fender flares on this car. Photo 1.
d. Cs are 2wd; Ks are 4wd. Basic significance is in ride height with Ks generally taller than Cs. Also fender flares on the Chevrolets would be black PVC or painted in contrast the to body color(2 tone options), unless it was an LS(see e.). Now, the GMC models WOULD have flares that matched the body color, but this one is badged on the tailgate and grilled as a Chevy.

The difference I think exists in the Photo 4 of the ride height front v. rear makes me think this IS a 2wd, so a C and not a K. But I m not 100% sure because the camera is elevated so it alters the perception.

e. The key to the body moulding is to ascertain what trim model it is. There is the base(Cheyenne), intermediate(LT & Silverado) and premium (LS).

Black moulding peripherally makes me exclude LS(it would have flares matching the body color) and since it appears the mirror backing cover matches the body color of the car it also can exclude the base model Cheyenne. I say LT/Silverado trim level.

f. 3 engine options related to demarcation. Only 2 engine options should be available in each demarc. For ex. 1500(halfton) should only have the bottom two available 5.3 & 6.0L(regardless of being a C or a K). The 2500 should have the 6.0 & 8.1L and the 3500(1 ton-I speculate all of these were built as Ks-4wds and very few Cs would be offered in the LT/Silverado trim line) also having the 6.0, 8.1L and a diesel option. But this car IS NOT a 3500.

So I say it looks as this car is a 2000-06 Chev. Suburban LT/Silverado C1500 5.3L V8. Hope that helps?

a. I have been checking eBay often for that very reason. I have also checked the various vehicle sites (KBB, Edmunds, MSN Motors, etc.) for any additional info.

b. One of the very first things I did was go to my local Chevy dealer and inquire with them on what they thought. Surprisingly, they were less than helpful. You've already given me much more insight just by your post.

I appreciate your time.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bilzhorse
Another thing to ask is when did the Suburban go from DRLs in the headlight to DRLs in the parking lights. In photo #5 the DRLs are amber and in the parking/turn signal area.
Good point, I hadn't noticed that one. Anyone have an answer?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 1:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
So trying to get info on the vehicle is not doing work?

Quick Reply: I need your help to identify this Suburban in a police investigation...