Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

I power in ON position

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2018, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I power in ON position

I’m not sure if this is where I should post this question. It’s regarding a 2003 Suburban. I just replaced the flasher relay (behind interior fuse panel just about parking brake release). I checked the blinkers and hazards and all seemed well. I was sitting inside with it in the ON position because I had to put it in low gear to get the shifter out of the way to replace the dash panel. I suddenly lost all power, including my brakes and began rolling. Now everything is messed up. Only dash light is engine light (unrelated). No power windows. Weak power locks. Slow/weak blinkers. Radio only has sound sometimes and it’s very muffled and off-sounding. Will not turn over at all. Just a click and if I persist it will click repetitively. Obviously the battery is dead or it’s not getting power from the battery (I also noticed the clock reset), but why? Alternator was replaced 3 weeks ago and have had no problems. I ended up putting the old flasher relay back in, thinking the new one caused some sort of short.

Anybody have ave any idea what this could be?
Old March 11th, 2018, 9:17 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When was the last time the battery was replaced? It could be bad or could simply be corrosion on one of the battery terminals. My 2002 was running fine, then my dad came over to chat for 5 or 10 minutes, when to start it, and my Tahoe did pretty much the same thing as your Suburban. A new battery fixed mine.
Old March 11th, 2018, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for your reply.

The battery was only 2 years old and given the strange symptoms, like the radio sounding weird and other things I didn’t mention, I really didn’t think it was simply the battery. BUT, I was wrong! I think the alternator issue from a few weeks ago may have compromised the battery (I drove it short distances to work and back for a full week before replacing the alternator). All is well now!

I will probably be posting here more often. I am a single mom who needs to keep her suburban going! My son and I replaced the water pump over the summer strictly by watching videos, reading, and learning! My truck has 239,000 miles on it but I can’t afford a new vehicle that’s big enough so we do what we have to do!