Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

I smell gasoline...

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2019, 1:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a quick update...owner of the shop said it was a rusty mess. Said the leak was coming from a pinhole on the badly rusted top of the fuel pump...so fuel pump and fuel level sensor, and one of the hard plastic lines will be replaced. Total cost is about $1700. I'm going through with the repair, but that may be the last repair i'll do...I've been obsessing over the new expeditions...lol
Old June 7th, 2019, 2:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Ouch. I hate that you had to spend so much on this repair.

I believe there's a tsb on this. The gasket pops out or goes bad...Can't remember for sure.

I had the fuel smell on my 2007 suburban so I waited until it was near empty, backed it up onto some rhino ramps and dropped the tank. Even on my back, it was a very easy job. Took about 15 minutes. It's always been driven in the Carolinas to there was no rust. Turns out nothing was wrong. No leaks so I reinstalled it.

Then the p0449 code came and I replaced the evap canister vent solenoid above the spare tire along with the gas cap and the smell permanently went away. I suspect the gas cap as I've had to replace the evap canister vent solenoid 4 times now and never smelled gas for the last 3.
Old June 8th, 2019, 9:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KChevy75
Ouch. I hate that you had to spend so much on this repair.

I believe there's a tsb on this. The gasket pops out or goes bad...Can't remember for sure.

I had the fuel smell on my 2007 suburban so I waited until it was near empty, backed it up onto some rhino ramps and dropped the tank. Even on my back, it was a very easy job. Took about 15 minutes. It's always been driven in the Carolinas to there was no rust. Turns out nothing was wrong. No leaks so I reinstalled it.

Then the p0449 code came and I replaced the evap canister vent solenoid above the spare tire along with the gas cap and the smell permanently went away. I suspect the gas cap as I've had to replace the evap canister vent solenoid 4 times now and never smelled gas for the last 3.
Ouch is right! lol! I got the car back today, and the price I paid was a bit cheaper than he mentioned over the phone ~$1400. I got charged almost 600 for the fuel pump and almost 200 for the fuel level sensor...I know there is a part number for those two pieces to come built together...MU1639...but o well. Turns out the top of the fuel pump was badly rusted and there was a some hole in the metal port that connects to the hard plastic line. Here is a pic...

Terrible design IMO...so until next time boys and girls....can't wait to see what else fails this year on my Tahoe. lol!

I live in Northern VA...the shop owner mentioned that in Maryland, the state was sued for using Brine fluid to deice the roads during the winter, supposedly the stuff is notorious for corrosion of metal on vehicles, so Maryland has since stopped using Brine. I wish that would happen in the state of Virginia, lol.

Last edited by Typerod; June 8th, 2019 at 9:44 PM.
Old June 8th, 2019, 10:33 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

maryland was just using brine this last winter so IDK i also know delaware uses it and its "supposed" to be better than salt
Old June 9th, 2019, 8:08 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
maryland was just using brine this last winter so IDK i also know delaware uses it and its "supposed" to be better than salt
Maybe he was mis-informed? IDK lol!

I wonder if the latest model Tahoes and Suburbans still have this exposed fuel pump design...I was considering getting another Tahoe. But I did test drive a 2019 Ford Expedition Max, and I really liked it. I just wish it had a V8 instead of twin turbo V6.