Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ignition Switch or just Lock-Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2014, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch or just Lock-Cylinder?

Help, I'm trying to get the bells to stop ringing in my ears... oh wait, they're in our new-to-us Tahoe.

Just bought an '02 LT, and the key was very hard to turn in the ignition. Had to sorta push down on the key when inserting/turning and then it would move. Figuring it was just sticky, I got out my trusty can of dry-graphite and that loosed it up a lot, but not completely.

Now it dings whenever the driver-door is opened, key or not. All other functions act normal (start, run, acc, etc), and the dinging will stop when the key is running like it's supposed to.

Does it sound like it just needs a new lock cylinder, or an entire switch? (my guess is this). How hard is it to replace the cylinder and/or switch? Is it a dealer-item-only or can I get it at local parts place?

Thanks in advance!
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I am going to guess that if you replace the lock assembly you are going to have to get new keys or at least get your keys reprogrammed..
If you go messing with it, be sure to not have the key in the ignition if you disconnect the battery as I have heard some bad things happen if you have the key on and disconnect the battery.
Do disconnect the battery before messing with anything in the steering column and be mindful of any Yellow wires running to the air bag assembly in the horn button
Old December 15th, 2014, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reminder about disconnecting the battery. I've seen some of the videos on youtube/etc where people set off airbags on purpose.

Good point, I'm sure I'll have to get new keys too. Just want to eliminate the dinging all the time.

Can I just cut the wire that senses if the key is in the ignition with the key-off?
Old December 15th, 2014, 8:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

your original problem was a worn out key. see if you can remove the lock cylinder and clean the graphite out. I think the 02 had two metal contacts used to detect the key. You should see them when the cylinder is removed. They now are probably covered in graphite.
if you decide to get a new lock cylinder; have it coded to match your existing key code so all the locks match the one new key you should cut.

Last edited by tech2; December 15th, 2014 at 8:29 PM.
Old December 16th, 2014, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default FIXED! (well, most of it)

YIPPEEE! YAHOOOO!!!

At least I got the ding-y part of the problem solved. Thanks to you, tech2!

Soon's you said 'covered in graphite', I realized that it had to be all that graphite I'd blown in there causing the contact. And sure enough, after a few good squirts of electronic-cleaner and then some compressed air, it was fixed. No more dinging when the key is out.

As for the sticky-key issue, I think I'll wait to tackle it when I can work my way down the punch-list a few more pages.

Again, thanks!