Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Installed New Fuel Pump, Won't Start, Need Help 2001 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2016, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed New Fuel Pump, Won't Start, Need Help 2001 Tahoe

I got a new Delphi fuel pump on Amazon and put it in, plugged the everything back in (I did my 2003 suburban so I did this once). I put about 3 more gallons of gas in the 2 that already there. I never did disconnect the battery during the process and listened to the radio. Then I went to start it, and I must have left the radio playing too long, so I put the charger on the battery and let it charge. Then I hit the "ON" position to prime the pump but it won't make the "buzzing" sound, just silence. Then I try to crank it and it doesn't start. I hit the valve stem on the fuel rail and there's no pressure. I also switched the fuse from the 'Running lights' and the 'Fuel pump' under the hood. My questions include

1. Did I probably buy a bad pump from Amazon, even though they said it was new?

2. I switched the fuses on the fuel system, but could the computer have locked out the new fuel pump?

3. If I drop the tank again and put the old pump on the wire connectors, will it definitely run so I know I have power, or will I have to submerge it

4. Does there need to be a certain level of gas in vehicle for pump to run?

5. There was a kit included to wire a new plug to fit the fuel pump, but MINE was already the same one, so I didn't put the new plug on it and it fit perfectly. Could they have switched the order of wires on plug, so now when I used my old plug, the wrong connections are being made?