Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Just Purchased '99 2500 (1st Time Needs Help)

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2018 | 11:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Just Purchased '99 2500 (1st Time Needs Help)

First time poster here. So I just purchased a '99 2500 (4x4, 7.4L) Suburban with around 100K miles. Everything checked out and looks/runs great. I'm really excited about the purchase, but now wondering what I can/should do with it regarding preventative maintenance and setting it up in the best way possible to be with me for another 200K+ miles. I'm not very knowledgeable regarding cars and "under the hood" type stuff. I just know to get the oil changed and tires rotated.

So what things should I look to do immediately do the truck?

A few potential helpful details. It appears the truck has lived it's life in California and Arizona. I will be moving to Minnesota soon, so it will be headed to the snow and frigid temps for the first time.

Huge thanks!

Last edited by Boomer34; November 5th, 2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old November 5th, 2018 | 12:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Replace all fluids - both axles, engine oil, transmission, transfer case, coolant. Heck, if it was me I'd even change the power steering fluid. It won't be cheap, but it's the best insurance against future headaches.

Check to make sure the heater and window defrosters work.
Old November 5th, 2018 | 3:48 PM
CF Veteran

Heading to a rustier state - maybe get it undercoated?
Old November 5th, 2018 | 8:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Heading to a rustier state - maybe get it undercoated?
Maybe, I guess. Never been much of a fan of that. I think a bigger factor in keeping the rust at bay is garaging a vehicle. I was crawling under my Suburban the other day and was actually surprised how little rust is on the undercarriage. Yet it's spent its entire 10-year life in the rust belt.

My '01 Suburban started showing some body rust after 11 years (garaged), but after I sold it to a friend (who leaves it out), the rust accelerated exponentially.

Old November 12th, 2018 | 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

So I am planning to upgrade my shocks. After reading, I think I will go with Bilsteins...but not sure between the 4600 and 5100? Can you still go with 5100 if the truck isn't lifted? Any other thoughts?