Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Long Time

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2014, 3:12 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Long Time

It's been a long time since I was here...

I bought a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon on 35s and rarely drive my Tahoe any more... the Jeep is just way more fun...

I do keep it (the Tahoe) around to tow the boat. (Chris craft 25')

anyway; I'm surprised there isn't more chatter about the 'new' Tahoe...

What I'm not surprised about is GM offing a few of their 'customers'

GM Received Dozens Of Customer Warnings About Faulty Ignition Switches

I can't wait to buy my next boat...

Why..?

Because a 32' Formula weighs too much for my Tahoe to pull.. allowing me some justification to REPLACE IT...

Just interviewed a guy this week with a brand new Lumina (I think)... anyway... been at the dealer now 8 times. Car stalls after starting it every time. He said he woke up today and there was a puddle of oil in his garage under the car.

He was apparently smarter than me and also got a hold of a lemon law lawyer... so well, if I hire him we will know how it turns out...
Old March 11th, 2014, 3:34 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey SabrToothSqrl good to see you back...
there has been some discussion on the 2015... I had a chance to check it out a week or so ago... lots of interior changes, fold flats, push to start, but its the same engine for the most part... supposed to get about 5% better mpg
here is the link...
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...burbans-63578/

Old March 12th, 2014, 7:10 AM
CF Addict

Default new one MPG

5% huh..?

I'm still saving for my Tesla...

with 80,000 miles on my Tahoe at 16 MPG, and let's say $3.20/gallon.. that's $16,000 in fuel. so $55,000 Tahoe + $16,000 in fuel = $71,000 (yes I know the Tesla isn't 'free' to drive, well actually, if you stick to their super chargers... IT IS)... but in 5 years I could make up the cost difference between my truck and a used Model S...

While people will always need (or at least maybe in my lifetime) oil burners to tow and gas for the toys (boats, jet skis, etc). I'd love to get one of these.

The wife and I test drove a Model S at KOP last fall... I want one like there's no tomorrow... just finding one under $70k is proving difficult... demand is keeping even the used ones very expensive.

70k I could swallow. 90-120k, I just can't justify that kind of cost for a car... that's more than my first town house cost!

Anyway, I'm glad they improved the Tahoe's 'quality' in the 2015, in the photos... I haven't seen one yet in person but I'm just unable to give GM any more money, they burned me in the past, and even the most impressive vehicle will never win me back.

Now that I drive my JK most days, my wife's going to take over driving the Tahoe since we need to keep it around to tow the boat...

Anyway, I dropped $2500 in TSLA stock a few months ago, and I'm over $5k now, so I'm happy... just wish I had bought more!

the writing is on the wall.. this is the start of the end for burning gas. I find it hilarious GM couldn't do in YEARS what Tesla did in 5.

the Volt is a joke. Hybrids are a joke... waste of tech, waste of weight. too complicated.

As I waited 4 cars deep to fill my Tahoe with fuel at a cost around $80/tank... I thought... maybe I could swing a new car payment... what would it be like to never stop at a gas station again? No one wants to stop at a gas station...

of course, I do love my oil burning JEEP Just threw a 30lb skid plate on the front of it Monday night, and have an oil pan / transfer case skid plate coming tonight to install..

But, maybe someday even that will have fewer moving parts and more electronics...

And while I'm fully aware of the consumer reports of the Wrangler... I think they miss the point of a Jeep...

I'm not sure how many other vehicles can do what it does... rough ride or not, you'd be hard pressed to ford 30+" of water with a Tahoe

of course, my insurance company feels differently... insuring a (when new) $55k Tahoe is CHEAPER than insuring the $30k Jeep...

Don't get me started on insurance... what a scam that is.

and I've been considering a Kawasaki Ninja 650 lately too... just not sure when I'll have time to ride!
Attached Thumbnails Long Time-jk.jpg  

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; March 12th, 2014 at 7:14 AM.
Old March 12th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Unless electricity is free, one needs to know the equivalent cost of KWH vs a gallon of gas. Who pays for the cost of the power for the Tesla superchargers?

Currently most electricity is generated by fossil fuels. Of course there's always the bird devouring windmills and the drought creating solar power. And now they come up w/ a way for solar power to kill birds.

Post some pics of your Jeep fording +30" of H2O.
Old March 12th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back Sabr, what's that 32' weigh ?
Old March 13th, 2014, 8:48 AM
CF Addict

Default pollution / electricity power

correct, the majority of power in the US comes from fossil fuels, but the amazing thing is... the Tesla can run on any of them.

Most power companies jump on whatever's the cheapest today... gas, oil, coal, nuke, wind, solar, doesn't matter!

but a gasoline car... can only run on... GASOLINE... for now and forever. (don't get me started on E85 ****).

so while you are 'moving' the pollution, you get the advantage of cheaper fuel, and, eventually, us moving towards less pollution causing fuel sources....

The supercharges are supplied by the local power utility, however some of them have solar panels that double as 'shade' while you are charging.

as for the boat

http://www.formulaboats.com/document...20Brochure.pdf

roughly 8,000 lbs + gear + fuel + trailer.

one of my jeep vids: (this is my 'old' jeep). I haven't had the new one off road yet. Keep in mind this was 2006... I'm old and fat now.

more of my vids:

SabrToothSqrl - YouTube
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
roughly 8,000 lbs + gear + fuel + trailer.
Yea, that'd be borderline for me. But, you could think about getting a 2500 Burb which I believe is good for just over 9K.
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:55 PM
CF Addict

Default well.

While that's true, I think I'm going to check out a F-250 or so... maybe 350.

But; since we are going to use the 24' one for a while, this wont be for a few years...

and let's face it $90k Tesla vs. 90k performance boat... isn't a hard call...

(BOAT, BOAT, BOAT, BOAT) lol.