Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Looking to buy 00-06 Suburban - Advice

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2016, 4:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy 00-06 Suburban - Advice

Hi Chevy owners-

Ever since I was a child I've wanted a Suburban, preferably a 2001 Charcoal Gray LT Autoride 4WD, because my family had one while I was growing up. Now that has time has gone on, I am able to drive, and since they sold our beloved Suburban with only 90k miles to a guy for the extremely low price of 7k back in 2013, I'm now in the market to find one.

My question to all of you: What is a good price and mileage for one of these trucks? Like I mentioned before, my parents only kept our truck until 90k miles, so I have no sort of experience with these trucks in terms of reliability. I remember only having two major problems with it, one of which being the parking brake not releasing, and the other one being a rock getting stuck in the accelerator which made it rev like crazy, but my mother babied it; garaged its whole life and had the car serviced at the dealer every time on a regular basis. I also know people like to charge a pretty penny for these just because they are larger vehicles.

Just trying to avoid buying my childhood car with problems. Thanks!

P.S.- I've attached the truck below. If anyone has seen it or currently has it, please reply! It supposedly went to the LA area (buyer) from the Bay Area (us) when we sold it. Also if anyone could look up the plate or VIN and could tell me where it's located that would be great also!!!

Last edited by ET2E; November 15th, 2017 at 1:44 AM.
Old October 30th, 2016, 9:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello:

I have a Black 2002 Suburban LT 4WD with Autoride, a 3/4 ton model.

I bought it when it was a year old and had 5K miles on it.

Now it's 14 years old and has 175K miles on it.

Most of the repairs have been related to corrosion issues due to living in snow country where they use a lot of salt. I see you are in California, so you won't have to worry about that. I have replaced the brake lines, fuel lines, and fuel pumps due to rusting out.

Otherwise it has been very reliable. I have only replaced the crank sensor, a power window mechanism, an engine mount, and a few batteries.

One warning, if you need to replace the autoride shocks, they are very expensive (4 of them at around $300 each).

If you find a 2000-06 with less than 100K miles on it that is a good find.

I am guessing that you will pay about 10-14K for an 04-06 with under 100K miles and loaded like you want it.

Steve