Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Low Oil Pressure Alarm

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I am with Joe In NY on this opinion, stick to the full synthetic and avoid the cleaners , you may want to consider doing the BG MOA as it comes with a warranty for the motor if you use their products... ( I use Mobile 1 but do not currently use the MOA) there are others on this forum that do and can speak to its benefits or lack of...
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, sorry, I thought you meant the screen on the reader, damn. No the screen was easy to clean, had some gunk on it but it came right out. The truck had 67000 on it when it happened.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 9:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replace the screen and sensor...........why? The flush and oil change has it operating in the optimal pressure range. The sensor sure isn't an issue- that thing is sending just fine.

Look, if the flush made a difference, it helps narrow the problem. Couldn't agree more with you, Joe, that I'm going to knock things loose with a flush. That's the point. Can it cause other problems? Sure, but the alternative is to start changing things out to see what solves the problem. The point is to have the solvent liquify the gunk and catch it in the filter.

I know you folks read these posts, so you know that there have been a lot of reasons for low oil pressure- Defective oil pumps, leaking o-rings, split pick-up tubes, plugged screens, shot sending units, low oil levels, excessive oil consumption, ect. I started with something that was easy to do and woith a high probability of having an impact- apply a solvent to the crank case in an attempt to clean out (at least partially) the screen. Why go through all the labor and cost to replace a screen, or replace the oil pump, until I've done a little process-of-elimination trouble shooting?

I'm pretty sure my oil filter was either clogged or collapsed just before the oil change. My wife has it on a 500 mile trip today. I'll have the hood open in the morning to check the oil level and color.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 2:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you see, most of you guys do the 6 quart oil change right?

Well, do you add a quart when the DIC says "Low Oil"???

If so, that is 2 quarts of oil you just burnt! The "Low OIL" Level is at 4 Quarts. So really, most of you guys are burning 2 quarts, then add a quart or 2. So really thats 4 quarts burnt between oil changes...

I do a 5 quart oil change and have to add 1 Quart per oil change around halfway through. So when I do 6 quart oil changes, I never have to add oil as I never reach the 4 quart mark.
Old May 24th, 2014, 8:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by TWard
Replace the screen and sensor...........why?
typically when the low oil pressure message occurs on a afm engine, when the oil level is fine and pressure checks at the filter are normal, it is due to either a bad sensor or clogged manifold sensor screen.

If I am going to the bother to remove the screen for inspection, its getting a new one. if your afm engine was built before 2010, get the oil pressure relief valve shield installed if the oil pan ever comes off for repair work.

if you feel your concern is fixed, keep on trucking.

Last edited by tech2; May 24th, 2014 at 8:21 AM.
Old May 26th, 2014, 2:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem seems to be fixed for the moment. Watching for oil consumption right now, and trying to figure out why the AC will blink but not come on in 80 degree weather.

If the pan comes off, I'll take your advice and have them install the shield.
Old May 26th, 2014, 2:18 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

for the AC make sure all of your vent settings are correct , I found out that the recirculation won't work if you have the vents set to feet only....
The AC should work for most all conditions but just make sure you are looking and not missing the obvious like I did with the floor vent and rececirc
Old May 26th, 2014, 5:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could have a leak and it wont turn on because there is no R134A
Old October 8th, 2014, 8:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I had a issue with this on the way into work this morning. Maybe I did something stupid as I added 5 qts of oil as my pressure was reading zero and when I checked the stick it was dry.

I was 20 miles into my drive in when I got the low oil pressure stop the engine message and the reading was basically zero on the oil gauge. I needed to get into work so figured I would just add the oil and get here before trying to figure it out. Im no mechanic so not sure about the screen and sensors..my first thought was the oil sending unit went bad? I guess my question is am I ok to drive it with the extra oil..I was in a hurry so didn't recheck the stick after I drove it but will before I leave.
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

When you said it was basically 0 on the gauge were you referring to the oil pressure gauge or the dipstick? If you're only about one quart or less above the fill mark on the dipstick, you should be able to drive it. Otherwise you will start whipping the oil in the crankcase into a foam which lubricates very poorly. How many miles does this rig have on it?

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure Alarm