Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Mileage range indication wrong 2004 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2023, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage range indication wrong 2004 Suburban

2004 Suburban

I had an issue where my mileage range indicated 76 miles remaining, but the vehicle would not start. Thinking there was an issue I could not fix, I had the vehicle towed to the dealer. They said the fuel tank was empty, added fuel and it started. I drove it for a few days and the mileage range would often go up instead of down. I filled up with fuel. The range used to say about 440 miles after filling up. Now after filling, it is only 356, give or take.

Suspecting a sending unit failure, I had the sending unit and the fuel pump replaced. However, the mileage range is still not reading correctly. Mileage range reading still goes up occasionally while driving. Fuel gauge appears to be correct. I read somewhere you sometimes need to reset the computer. I disconnected the battery, turned on the headlights (to drain the capacitors) and waited a few minutes. No change. I never had any wrong mileage range readouts prior to this failure.

Any suggestions?
Old August 8th, 2023, 1:59 PM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

The fuel range is determined by your fuel mileage that you had just previously. If you were getting 20mpg your range will be higher than if you were getting 17mpg. Hope I explained it well. That's the way it works on my truck.