Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Monroe Quick struts / Strut replacement (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/monroe-quick-struts-strut-replacement-60220/)

73shark October 21st, 2013 11:22 PM

Have you tried checking with your parts guy to see what part number he shows?

in2pro October 22nd, 2013 11:03 AM

The above parts we're exact replacement for mine... No issues. As long as they are the same size and fit you should be fine... I did the same over thinking and analyzing my self:-P

in2pro October 22nd, 2013 11:04 AM

Those part numbers were from my parts guy.... But I bought off Amazon as he could not match price.

UNDERSCORE October 29th, 2013 7:46 AM

Well, I did use the Monroe Quick Strut assemblys for the fronts yesterday and found it to be a pretty easy and worthwhile job.

The only bump I ran into was getting the sway bar to cooperate. Since the bushings looked shot and the nut was rusty, I just cut them off and bought replacements from Autozone for $10 a side. Doing this allowed for more room to get the strut assembly in and out. If you go this route, you may need a little help manipulating the bar to get the new links back on. Also, get both sides on before cinching them down.

My Sub has 111k miles and was measuring 34.5" from floor to fender lip on the passenger side and 35" on the drivers side. This is why I went with the new springs. I bought the Sub with 105k miles and it was used as a mom-wagon in it's previous life. The springs are meant to provide a nice ride and it looks like after time, they sag. These Monroe's raised the Sub up to 36" on both sides. Finally, it sits right.

The ride is firmer and more in control without the boaty feeling. Feels like new. I think it was worth the additional money it adds plus you don't have to deal with compressing springs.

in2pro October 29th, 2013 8:41 AM

Excellent! :)
thanks for flowering up
I agree with the simplicity and ease of the quick strut... I was concerned that the QS might not be of the same standard of the original spring i.e. the plastic coating on spring...but that aside, if the spring is weak then it has to be replaced and the QS is the way to go...:cool:

UNDERSCORE October 29th, 2013 5:32 PM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 260029)
Excellent! :)
thanks for flowering up
I agree with the simplicity and ease of the quick strut... I was concerned that the QS might not be of the same standard of the original spring i.e. the plastic coating on spring...but that aside, if the spring is weak then it has to be replaced and the QS is the way to go...:cool:

Considering that Chevy probably outsources their springs and that they went to crap at 100k, the Monroe is probably equal to or better and besides, if corrosion is a concern, I'd just spray them with some primer and paint before the install. My stock struts were flaking their paint and the springs were a little rusty.

Driving home, the truck just feels kick ass now. I'm totally digging this thing now.