Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Monroe Quick struts / Strut replacement

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Monroe Quick struts / Strut replacement

About to replace the front struts and rear shocks on my 07 Tahoe.
I have the premium smooth ride and not the autoride

I am going to replace the rear socks with ACDelco's but the only pre assembled and loaded struts I can find are the Monroe... there are others available but all have a 2in lift added that I am not looking for...

Anyone use the Monroe quick struts and have any 2¢ about them...?
Attached Thumbnails Monroe Quick struts / Strut replacement-mqs.png  

Last edited by in2pro; September 12th, 2013 at 9:43 PM. Reason: Updated title to include strut replacement (parts)
Old August 29th, 2013, 8:08 PM
Administrator

Okay no bites... well has anyone changed there strut shocks and what did you use for a spring compressor? Some of the compressors I have seen only go up to 11/16" for the coil size and mine are 3/4" and coated with a rubber/plastic (silencer I suspect).

I guess if nothing else I can see if a local shop will swap them for me for a few bucks....

I can get the ACDelco rear shocks and front strut shocks for $259 out the door for all 4! on Amazon... my neighbor buddy auto parts store manager can't even match that..
Old August 29th, 2013, 8:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, yeah online prices are hurting stores, especially my uncle, he can get the name brand parts cheap, and delivered within the hour that he called the order in, hes near a huge warehouse in Daytona Beach, FL, but, these online prices are hurting him, people are getting their own parts making him wait with their car up on the lift...

any way, go to advanced auto, they *rent* out spring compressors, deposit $50, use the tool, return it, and get refunded the $50
Old August 29th, 2013, 8:39 PM
Administrator

I am finding that Amazon is often even cheaper then Rock Auto.. PLUS Amazon is almost always free shipping if its a Prime item and I am a Prime member...

I just pulled the trigger on ordering the shocks and also got a set of spring compressors that state the accept coil wire size up to 0.75...
They are the OEM brand, OEM 27036 Strut Spring Compressor, will see if they will work...
I have a set of the Harbor Fright kind, those were fine for the wifes mini-van struts... but I don't trust them without safety pins for the monster springs on my Tahoe....that and they would not firmly/correctly hook over the 3/4" spring...
Old August 29th, 2013, 8:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

do not use a cheap rent a tool spring compressor for truck springs. You may get away using lesser tools for car stuff but don't even attempt this for a truck spring. Something will slip and you will get hurt...I've seen it happen to a co-worker because the shop owner was to cheap to buy the proper equipment.
Old August 30th, 2013, 7:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles are you at on your tahoe? Are you experiencing any ride discomfort? I just bought suburban with 100k miles and thought about doing struts. I'm not really hearing or feeling anything but thought It couldn't hurt.
Old August 30th, 2013, 7:30 AM
Administrator

Well, there in lies some of my dilemma. The truck is 6 yrs old with 87,000 miles...
There are no outward or obvious issues, no clunks, nothing leaking... but I think the ride feels a bit more bouncy on the highway.. the wife says she thinks its fine but she really never drives it

From what I have read and gathered, is that most people don't notice the slow degradation of the shocks and suspension as you adjust your habits to how the vehicle performs. I have found no "recommended" replacement point except for vehicles that clearly state a replacement point like most imports....

Its personal preference I guess, I have never owned a vehicle that I never replaced shocks and or struts on at some point and its all been mostly based on age....and in this case its 6 years old
Old August 30th, 2013, 8:35 AM
CF Senior Member

hmmm... I'm not putting new front struts in for a while, I do believe I could get a better ride, but its not terrible bouncy and the intermittent solenoid failure code has gone away for the FL strut...

Also, I spend all my money :P Have 2 boats and a sail boat. 2 hours to get to the lake, @ 14.4 mpg, gas goes kinda quick, plus with 2 boats that each have a Ford 351W, and gas being $5.20 a gallon, we have to do gas runs into town to buy 89 gas @ $4 a gallon... Fun enjoying these things, not fun funding them... lol
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Hope you're not using any gas with alcohol in it in your boats.
Old August 30th, 2013, 3:09 PM
CF Senior Member

ha! you hope! I wish! even the vendors on the lake cant get gas with out that crap ethanol... They just treat it. I use my boats every weekend. Not enough time for the gas to go bad. My boats are 1989 and 1992. Same motor, but the 1992 has a 285 hp instead 240 hp 351W. I treat my gas in each boat for the winter, put the treatment in, then pull em', then go fill em' up and store them. Hell, the motors even say Leaded fuel. Even boats boats made in early 2000's still say Non Ethanol, Leaded fuel.

Quick Reply: Monroe Quick struts / Strut replacement