Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

My new old Suburban

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new old Suburban

I found a 2001 Suburban LT with heated leather and in immaculate condition with all service records since 01. The guy changed the oil ever 4000 with Mobil Synthetic. The engine and undercarriage was so clean, you'd swear it was brand new. It has 134k on it, but again, it is immaculate. I paid $7700. Not sure if I overpaid or not, but it is a sweet ride and I am quite please with it. The stereo has to go...what a piece of junk. There is no bass at all even though its listed as a 9 speaker system. Is there a subwoofer somewhere with this crappy little 1.5 DIN stereo? Options to replace it?
Old May 25th, 2012, 5:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chickensandwich
I found a 2001 Suburban LT with heated leather and in immaculate condition with all service records since 01. The guy changed the oil ever 4000 with Mobil Synthetic. The engine and undercarriage was so clean, you'd swear it was brand new. It has 134k on it, but again, it is immaculate. I paid $7700. Not sure if I overpaid or not, but it is a sweet ride and I am quite please with it. The stereo has to go...what a piece of junk. There is no bass at all even though its listed as a 9 speaker system. Is there a subwoofer somewhere with this crappy little 1.5 DIN stereo? Options to replace it?
kinda high price, but considering the records you got and as clean as it sounds, doesn't seem like a bad deal.

I got our LS for 5k at 147k, no records or nothing. but then again around here they go stupid. 4x4 burbans with stupid high miles bring decent money for some odd reason... and as much as I wanted to hold out for 4x4, I really needed something to haul all the kiddos. compromises were made and I don't regret them. lol

there is a sub (at least in mine) in the way back on the drivers side. if I remember correctly its a 8" Yeah they aren't the greatest. I know mine needs replaced, but I'm going to have to put some time in figuring out how to pull all that damn plastic out without breaking it. lol

:chug:
Old May 27th, 2012, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

I've been looking at prices and test driving these for the past week and I would say that is a fair price if it's as nice as you say. I've seen a lot of these being listed for less than the book value and here's my opinion why:

- According to wikipedia, 2000-2003 were the peak years for Suburban and Yukon sales with about 200,000 being sold per year.

- The last 3 years only about 50,000-80,000 have been sold per year, due to gas prices and the economy.

Now I would say that 10 years is a pretty average length of time to keep a new vehicle. That means that there are hundreds of thousands of people looking to trade in/sell their early 2000's burbans, but the demand for these big SUV's has gone down significantly.

That is good news for people like me who are looking to buy a Suburban and bad news for people looking to sell. Good deals can be had right now if you are patient.
Old May 27th, 2012, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

After owning this for a few days, I am confident that I have a very good vehicle. Have all of the oil change records means a lot to me, and the fact that synthetic oil was used means a whole lot more. I test drove '07's that weren't as clean inside or outside as this one is and this truck also seems to have a whole lot more power too. I'm very happy. I am not fond of the 1.5 din situation. I am going to have to get fabrication done to get a double din put in, but hey, I saved a lot on the truck so I can spend a little to make it mine.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Boy you guys would like to get hold of my 2000 LT with only 95k miles! And no rust here in Texas. Just replaced the rear air shocks that came with the trailer package. but guess what? I have never towed anything with this vehicle. But we are going to keep it for now! Best vehicle we have every had.
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Love my truck, had to put a new battery in it after owning it 6 days. Not happy about that. Dealer replied "you bought it as is...so...." I've bought 3 cars from them, this will be the last because they won't help me out in any way. Yes, its minor, but that was my point to the dealer too.