Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   need differentail expert (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/need-differentail-expert-54741/)

SWHouston November 24th, 2012 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by hunterjo (Post 233596)
my next question is how do i get a answer on a public thread. i did not consider these questions a private message. i still am a little confused on how things work on this site. any guidance would be helpful.

This (where we are now) is a Public Thread, and the correct place to be asking the questions you're asking. ;)

slyder941 November 24th, 2012 11:26 PM

The reason some people do PM is it doesn't clutter up the thread with lots of simple questions or small talk and what not. No one is trying to hide information it just sometimes takes lots of little messages to convey a point or procedure again possibly cluttering up a thread.

SWHouston November 25th, 2012 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by slyder941 (Post 233636)
The reason some people do PM is it doesn't clutter up the thread with lots of simple questions or small talk and what not. No one is trying to hide information it just sometimes takes lots of little messages to convey a point or procedure again possibly cluttering up a thread.

You make some very good points...
Any thread should stay on topic as best as can be. But with novice DIY'ers, it may take several questions, which a more experienced person may consider unnecessary. One must remember, that there may be others reading/following the thread, which are equally as inexperienced, and consider those small/seeming unnecessary comments valuable clarifications.

Regardless of it's apparent importance...

The only stupid question, is the one which goes unasked.

hunterjo November 25th, 2012 7:37 AM

thanks for explaining things to me. first i realize the leaking axle seal has nothing to do with rear end whine. i most have nicked the seal when i pushed axle in to put in clip. i will deal with that when i remove diff. cover to check my set up. when i set it up i got gear patten to were i thought it should be by what i read.( i had the back lash at .005) my big question is when i did the crush sleeve. i removed the carrier then went on to crush the sleeve to get preload on pinion bearings. i tightened nut until i had 14in. lbs. resistance on dial. my question is should i have tightened nut until there was zero back lash or the 14in.lbs. torque like i did. i then pre loaded the carrier to .010 when i put it in. i now have 600 mi. on rebuild. i know it is hard to answer all my questions with out seeing what i did. i am just tring to get ideas on what to look for by what i have explained.
hunterjo

inthechateau November 27th, 2012 9:29 PM

rear axle build

You have several issues going on. The vibration is from improper pinion shaft preload, the decel whine is from improper side load and sounds like the pinion is not set deep enough into the ring gear. I have built several chevy rears and limited slip sets. There are many times when setting up you end up tearing back apart to change sideload shims, centering teh carrier assy requires more shimming, and changing the shim under the pinion bearing ends up going through several bearings to get it right. Preload, preload, preload and lots of machinists blue to read teh ring gear to pinion gear set up is imperitive. If you did not blue the gears you are not set up and need to go back to the starting point. spend teh 500 bucks for a pro set up and save yourself a $1000 rearend replacement when it melts down from improper set up.

hunterjo November 29th, 2012 5:19 PM

yes i blued the ring gear. do you think i have to much preload or not enough on the pinion bearings. i am just trying to get a idea what to look for when i take this thing apart again. i have been putting this off because i broke my collar bone 2 weeks ago. (had a atv mishap)

hunterjo December 20th, 2012 10:57 PM

i tore everything apart again, replaced pinion bearing again. did 14 in. lbs preload- set carrier preload to specs. again still have high temps at pinion area after i travel 20 or more miles at high speed. still have slight whin on coast at around 50-60 mph. do i need to back off on pinion preload to reduce the high temps i am getting. ( it gets hot enough to thin oil out so it comes out the axle seals. still looking for some good advic
hunterjo

MrMarty51 December 21st, 2012 1:29 AM

Pinion preload must be set without the input seal in place.Pinion depth takes a pinion depth guage,if You do`nt have one of those You will never get that differential set up right.just installing the old shims,or,new shims of the same thickness will not get the depth of a new pinion set right.
You do want to get this thing right before it wears into the teeth of the ring/pinion gear or else there will be excessive wear on both of those after You do get it right + You will not be able to get the backlash properly set once they have started to wear in.
Do a search for pinion depth guage,they are available for anywhere from about thirty bucks on up.
I`m not a differential man but I did stay at the.............................oh never mind.LOL

hunterjo December 21st, 2012 7:23 AM

i ordered a depth gauge from ratech. i will start set up again when i get it . know of the best web sites to get my set instructions from.

MrMarty51 December 21st, 2012 2:25 PM

Originally Posted by hunterjo (Post 235870)
i ordered a depth gauge from ratech. i will start set up again when i get it . know of the best web sites to get my set instructions from.

I think there may be very accurate intructions in the Dana Sicer website.
If not then I know Hains and Chiltons prints books with setting up diffs.
flea bay would be a good place to start if You dont fnd them elsewhere.