Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

need differentail expert

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need differentail expert

after my diff. came apart awhile back(this is on a 2001 suburban 1500 4x4) i rebuilt it with new ring & pinion all new bearings and seals.set it up like what i read now have a few problems. first problem i have slight whin from 60 to 40 mph on coast, now i have axle seal leaking rt. side and a vibration when i go over 68 mph. could i have bearing preload wrong or something else not right. need all the input i can get.
hunterjo
Old November 23rd, 2012, 2:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you replace all gears with new?
Old November 23rd, 2012, 5:41 PM
CF Junior Member

yes ,everything but the carrier were replaced with oem replacment parts
Old November 23rd, 2012, 8:52 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The whine you described sounds like a pinion bearing most likely from incorrect set up. Setting up a rear is not really a DIY repair if you want it to last. Most shops will not do internal rear work if that tells you something. Axles and seals yes but not anything else. It takes an experienced person with special tools to do it correctly.
Old November 24th, 2012, 4:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Setting up a rear is not really a DIY repair if you want it to last. It takes an experienced person with special tools to do it correctly.
I definitely agree with that !
Old November 24th, 2012, 7:28 AM
CF Junior Member

i guess i do not know what PM is. if you tell me then i can go to the next step. Right now i am so far into this projest i can no longer turn back.
Old November 24th, 2012, 8:03 AM
CF Monarch

PM is private message. Dealing with bearings, and gears requires mearsuring gear mesh clearances ect.
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hunterjo,

Now you know what a PM is.

Many of the more experienced users on this and other forums, don't like to respond to a question thru PM, which would be helpful to the users and visitors to the Forum. If it would be helpful in PM, then why not say it in public.

Often times, newbies don't understand the terminology of the Forum or the Industry, but, don't let that get in your way to ask any clarification you wish. One of the rewards of dong this, is knowing we helped someone out. That means a lot to all of us.
Old November 24th, 2012, 2:42 PM
CF Junior Member

my next question is how do i get a answer on a public thread. i did not consider these questions a private message. i still am a little confused on how things work on this site. any guidance would be helpful.
Old November 24th, 2012, 3:11 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by hunterjo
my next question is how do i get a answer on a public thread. i did not consider these questions a private message. i still am a little confused on how things work on this site. any guidance would be helpful.
Trying to answer questions that you have are too involved. You have a gear mesh/backlash issue (I assume since I cannot see it) and or bearing issue (suspect). If you don't have a manual for the differential, get one. You'll also need plasti-gauge for gear mesh clearance, and precision measuring devices, i.e. micrometers, feeler gauges. This is just the start. If you have alot of experience with gears, bearings, you should understand you need the spec's.

PM is private message, some don't do pm as in one of the posters tag line. this isn't directed to you, but in general as this is a bulletin board, and questions, with prospective answers should be public. I am not a moderator nor would I be.

Last edited by kevinkpk; November 24th, 2012 at 3:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: need differentail expert