Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need help finding a lubricant for rubber against metal

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2010, 4:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding a lubricant for rubber against metal

Hey guys,

So I think I found why my interior is so noisy. I think the rubber weather stripping around the door is creaking against the metal door itself. I have take everything apart and everything has been taped down, tightened, etc.

Anyone have any idea what I can use to lubricate the rubber against the metal?

I also thought of a crazy idea in which I would put a thing strip of felt around the door...but that would look stupid and water may come in during a thunderstorm.

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Silicone Spray lubricant.

Spray it on a cloth towel and wipe down all the door gaskets. I do this every time I wax my vehicles.
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Damien0869

Hey jkc350z, just yesterday I was tracing the same issue on my 07 Hoe. Sure enough, I came online and read your post and realized I was on the money with the interior noise from the passenger side. I am not sure if you feel the same way, but this was driving absolutely insane! Even to the point where I was asking passengers what the hell they were doing (lol).

Just wanted to say thank you for the confirmation and your post.

Also, I was referred to GM, where they have a product for this very issue for sale, and it has a built in applicator and all. Unsure of the name, but I am sure they will know exactly what you need.

BigDaddyO' is also correct I am told.

Good Luck Friend!

Cheers

DAMien, Toronto CanaDUH!
Old August 31st, 2010, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Damien0869
Hey jkc350z, just yesterday I was tracing the same issue on my 07 Hoe. Sure enough, I came online and read your post and realized I was on the money with the interior noise from the passenger side. I am not sure if you feel the same way, but this was driving absolutely insane! Even to the point where I was asking passengers what the hell they were doing (lol).

Just wanted to say thank you for the confirmation and your post.

Also, I was referred to GM, where they have a product for this very issue for sale, and it has a built in applicator and all. Unsure of the name, but I am sure they will know exactly what you need.

BigDaddyO' is also correct I am told.

Good Luck Friend!

Cheers

DAMien, Toronto CanaDUH!

Awesome...it helps me confirm my beliefs too! If you find out more about the product you are referring to...please post it here! It would be a great help!

Let us know if what we both think is true!
Old August 31st, 2010, 4:01 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyO
Silicone Spray lubricant.

Spray it on a cloth towel and wipe down all the door gaskets. I do this every time I wax my vehicles.

I use a silicon grease and wipe it on and off and lasts about 4-6 months.
Old September 1st, 2010, 3:17 PM
Damien0869

Hi guys, okay I did attend GM and the product is 10953014 and its bin/list price is 7.21 CDN funds. More than likely cheaper for you Americans. Very good stuff, has an applicator built in.

It's basically as 73Shark and BigDaddyO' are recommending, silicone derivative type past with some added chemicals. It worked well and my creaks and squeaks are gone.

Good luck!

DAMien
Old September 2nd, 2010, 1:02 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

You can also find rubber safe silicone lubes and sprays at RV and camper supply stores...its probably cheaper at wally-world but know that most RV places also carry it...
Old September 2nd, 2010, 8:18 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I used the 3M silicone paste on my weather stripping today while cleaning up my truck.... its a bit thick but rubs in just fine and really supples up the rubber I also used it on the window sills. My truck is an 07 Tahoe and the seals now look brand new, the paste I think will last much longer then the armor-all I was using on them....
Attached Thumbnails Need help finding a lubricant for rubber against metal-419g9k5vxjl._ss400_.jpg   Need help finding a lubricant for rubber against metal-img_6041.jpg  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 8:59 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Also a good way to keep your doors from freezing shut in the winter when it rains then drops below freezing before the seals dry.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 2:42 AM
Damien0869

Originally Posted by 73shark
Also a good way to keep your doors from freezing shut in the winter when it rains then drops below freezing before the seals dry.
73 Shark, you can say that again lol, for sure!

I also did behind the seals, not just the visible surface, wow I never realized how much crap collect behind these things. Glad there was this post to get me off my **** to lube them up. It is so much better in appearance and no more passenger side noise and creaks.

Last edited by Damien0869; September 3rd, 2010 at 2:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help finding a lubricant for rubber against metal