Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need help (should i buy)

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2019, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help (should i buy)

Ok so im looking at a 1996 chevy suburban with 208k miles it has some cosmetic issues but idrc about the outside since its gonna be a beater/work truck everything works in the inside he wants 1500$ But idk are these trucks good? Like should i worry about the tranny or anything big? Please lmk

Old February 1st, 2019, 7:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It has 208K miles on it and pushing 25 years old; things are going to breakdown, you have to expect it.

Tom
Old February 1st, 2019, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think ill be dumping thousands?
Old February 1st, 2019, 7:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no idea, it could be a great truck with no issues, but it has mileage and age on it.

Tom
Old February 1st, 2019, 7:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Be right back. Let me check my crystal ball ...
Old February 1st, 2019, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

I have a 93 with 350k. Needed a new tranny at 200k but otherwise routine maintenance has kept it running well and it would have been a great beater work truck. Got any maintenance records?
Old February 2nd, 2019, 7:12 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

It all depends on how well the truck was maintained. Are there any maintenance records? Check the fluids, is the oil dirty, is the transmission fluid burned or is it pink in color? Check the air filter. Is the check engine light on? This will give you an idea of how the truck was taken care of.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 11:49 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The biggest indicator of durability at that point in a truck's life is how it was maintained. Does the current owner have maintenance records showing fluid changes - not just oil changes, but transmission, transfer case, axles, radiator, hell, even power steering? What about the rubber - boots, belts, hoses, etc? Are there spots of grease near the suspension fittings and boots, indicating they were regularly maintained?

No records? I'd walk away.

Is the platform solid? Yes, very. But a 100k truck with little maintenance is going to be in much rougher mechanical shape than one with 200k that was meticulously maintained.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 3:22 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kodiaks
Ok so im looking at a 1996 chevy suburban with 208k miles it has some cosmetic issues but idrc about the outside since its gonna be a beater/work truck everything works in the inside he wants 1500$ But idk are these trucks good? Like should i worry about the tranny or anything big? Please lmk
Mister, I'm a mechanic, not a magician.. How much money do you plan to spend on an old vehicle that has 208k miles and, is a 1996? Insurance, inspections, tags, plate, and anything and everything it has to have to be roadworthy? Personally, I wouldn't buy an air-bag anything, but that's my opinion.