Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need more cooling capacity / efficiency 98 K1500 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2016 | 10:39 AM

Default Need more cooling capacity / efficiency 98 K1500 Suburban

5.7l, k1500 1998 suburban is my dedicated beach cruiser. In the middle of the winter I had her overheat and through a series of experiments ended up with a new ACDelco factory thermostat, replacement fan clutch and new radiator cap.

I don't recall having any temp issues last summer so it was surprising yesterday when in 70f air temps, the engine temp slowly rose to slightly above 210 while on the beach. It quickly returned to 180/185 once I got back on the road in 2wd and got the vehicle speed up.

It didn't come close to overheating but obviously couldn't cool to the thermostat set point and it is only spring.

The water pump was replaced 20-30k miles ago by the previous owner and I have a new belt on it...no noises or visible leeks coming from the pump; any chance it has failed in some other way and isn't moving the correct amount of fluid? Coolant is new btw as the intake gasket was recently replaced.

Radiator was also replaced 30k miles ago.

I am not sure why I keep having this issue but are there some simple things that I can do to improve airflow? is there a fan clutch that can engage sooner, or aftermarket fan blade setup that will flow more air? To be honest, I don't recall hearing the fan roaring when the engine temp got up above 210; what is the chance that my CarQuest clutch was bad from the start?

THX
Old March 22nd, 2016 | 2:01 PM

Bump.