Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need Tips: Cutting Plastic and Painting it (07' Tahoe)

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2007 | 2:33 PM
CF Active Member

Default Need Tips: Cutting Plastic and Painting it (07' Tahoe)

Hey everyone,
Just wondering in what way is it possible to cutt plastic without melting it away? What I am referring to is the tabs that hold on the lower front lip of the 07 Tahoe. When you remove the lower valance of the Tahoe, the bumper turns into looking like a Bulldozer due to the tabs. I would like to remove those tabs for more clearance. I would think a saw and such would melt the plastic, any tips other than to saw?

Also, what is the best way to paint plastic and specifically plastic that has chrome paint on it. I understand some light scuffing would take place, maybe some primer or plastic prep, then paint. Anyone have pointers on that process?

Thank you for all of your help.

Deejayrock
Old September 26th, 2007 | 8:46 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Need Tips: Cutting Plastic and Painting it (07' Tahoe)

I would score the flat surfaces with a sharp knife using a straight edge, then come back anduse a dremel tool cutting wheel.

Rough up the plastic with 600 grit and use adhesion promoter, then finish coats, then clear coats. Each layer is (2 light coats, 1 normalcoat per instructions on can)