Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New air intake kit & exhaust for '05 Z71 4x4

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2006, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New air intake kit & exhaust for '05 Z71 4x4

I have an '05 1/2 ton Z71 4x4 and am looking for ways to increase horsepower and torque to improve towing ability (I pull a 7,00 lb. travel trailer). I believe a K&N air intake kit and high flow performance exhaust (Gibson or Magnaflow) would be the cheapest way to gain both HP and torque. Does anyone have a set up such as this? If so, what kind of results did you achieve? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I will be moving from San Antonio, TX to Anchorage, AK (military move) and will be pulling through mountains.

Any recommendations as far as a performace programmers (superchips/hypertech) go?
Old October 19th, 2006, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New air intake kit & exhaust for '05 Z71 4x4

I have a 2003 3/4 ton with the 6.0l, 3.73 gears, and have a hypertech, gibson dual sport exhaust and a k&n 77 series intake. This conbination really imporved the overall drivability of my truck. i tow a 5800lb boat during the summer and before i had the add-ons the truck went up grades fine but there was definatly room for improvement. Over the course of the winter, i got the mod bug and started installing the add-ons. I first purchased the hypertech, and wow what a difference from just this programmer. I could tell a difference in low end torque and midrange power from this install, and this was probably this easiest modification ever. Just plug it in, press a few buttons and off you go. Then I added the k&n intake. This really helped out with the midrange power, not so much in the low end, but on the twisty mountain roads, i can put my foot down and this 3 ton machine gets going, and plus it sounds great too. And finally i added the Gibson exhaust which helped out with the overall power, not just up in the top end like buddies 1/2 ton silverado which has a magnaflow, and not to mention its loud inside the cab compared to mine. With all of these add-ons the truck really feels different, especially when towing my boat. This summer I took a trip with 3 of my buddies over to a lake on the east side of Washington (I live in Seattle) and what a difference these made. I really didn't think that i would be able to tell a difference when going up and over the mountains, i just thought it would sound better. But even with the boat, and everyones gear in the back, it just stayed in third gear and hauled up at 60mph. I realize that you have a different burb than i do, however i would expect you to see and feel similiar gains. If you have a 4.10 axle you will probably feel the gains more than i did. I would highly recomend these products. I have not had any problems with any of them, but the one thing you do have to remember is you have to uninstall the hypertech when you go into the dealer to get serviced, or else they can't read you computer. Let me know what you decide to put on. Hope this information helps you out.