Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New to the forum!

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2012, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum!

Howdy everyone!

Figured I would join the forum since ive had my truck for a while. My dad bought the truck when I was like 8? and it was brand new when he bought it off the showroom floor and told me one day I would own it. Lol. Now im 23 and he finally sold it to me last year. Ive been driving it since I was 17 when I got my license, but never had the time or money to modify it until I finally joined the AirForce.

I think right now im looking at doing a 2inch body lift on it, because im unsure about just redoing the suspension and putting some 31s or 33s on it. For being almost 20 years old the truck runs pretty solid which im pretty surprised with.

Anyways, I look forward to talking with everyone!
Old January 10th, 2012, 9:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Welcome!

Welcome to the Forum Norton!!

Both this forum and the one HERE offer some great information for these trucks!! They both have a great community of members. Feel free to post up some pictures of your ride! It's always nice to see pics.

These trucks, when taken well care of, will truly last a lifetime! If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! I am more familiar with the newer body style Tahoe's, but I can try and help, or at least point you in the right direction.
Old January 11th, 2012, 9:16 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default modifications

I don't want to sound like a downer, but I've been there.

I'm now 29, and bought my dad's Tahoe at 19 ish.

I'll give you the best advice in the world to keep that truck working:

"don't touch a damn thing".

don't modify, don't add, don't change.

I've been through modified Tahoes, Wranglers, Station Wagons, cars, etc.

Suspension lifts, body lifts, brakes, wheels, tires, electronics, amps, subs, etc.

It' ain't worth it.

especially on older vehicles. a body lift your looking at removing bolts that haven't been removed in 10+ odd years. and stretching components that have settled into place.

seriously... if you want a project, do it to another vehicle. leave your 'daily driver'... alone.

bigger tires create a bigger load on your engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, axles, gears, everything. even your MPG... so your wallet will be even lighter.

I, personally, have owned 2 wranglers, and hope to get a 3rd after a real estate deal this summer. one had a 2" then 4" lift, the other a 5.5" long arm on 35s...
I modded it so much for off road, that highway was no fun... it stopped like a school bus...

without writing a phone book here. I'll leave you with the advice I've learned from thousands of $ wasted, stress, time, and the loss of a rather unneeded girlfriend...

Don't bother.
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah I've thought about not doing anything to it at all either. I own a street bike and I ride that mostly for commuting, but I do get what your saying about not modifying it at all.
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site! I hope we can help you with whatever project you plan on tackling. Got any pictures to share?
Old January 11th, 2012, 1:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slight modifications usually are no problem but like SABR said once you start you usually dont stop until it gets too costly and not fun anymore...but on the other hand if you can stop yourself and only do a few things is usually helps you learn the vehicle more and if things do break you know how to fix it yourself.

no matter what, it is your truck now so have fun with it! all of us "older" people can say what we want but that doesnt matter
Old January 11th, 2012, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Ill have to take some pictures for you guys. I havent had a whole lot of time lately since im on vaction and you know that goes. No time for anything. Yeah I hadnt really planned on doing much to the truck other than that lift and some bigger tires and upgrading the sound system in it. I wasnt planning on dumping a ****load of cash in to this badboy other than to fix something whenever it breaks. lol. I agree though learning when and how to stop is a big deal with vehicle custimization.