Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New to Forum/help with purchase?

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2008, 5:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum/help with purchase?

Hey, I am new to this forum. You all seem pretty cool compared to some other car forums on the Internet. I just wanted to introduce myself and try to get some advice if you do not mind.

I am on the market to get a new car, and I am seriously thinking about getting a 08/09 Tahoe LS 4x4. I do not want to spend more than 35k, and given what I have seen online... this should be no problem; let me know if I am wrong about this. I am considering a Tahoe or maybe even a Suburban because I am so tall---6'4; I am tired of riding in small cars.

A Few questions:

Has the reliability gotten better? (My parents use to have a 2000 LS Tahoe 4x2 and all it did was fall apart)

When will the 2009's be on the lot? (I really would prefer a 6 speed auto over the 4)

Can you get buckets in the second row instead of the bench without getting the third row options?

Anything else that would be helpful to know?

My family and I have been driving German ever since 2001... so going back to the American Chevy is a little different. Don't get me wrong.... I love Chevy's new trucks... they are amazing; I just need some advice.

Old March 5th, 2008, 6:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: New to Forum/help with purchase?

I own a 07 suburban with second row captains chair and 3rd row bench. I love it, its been good to me. The 2009 will be coming up in May, i think.
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.
The only note I can make is regarding the price, but please do not quote me on this. New Tahoe 'usually' goes for $7.5K to $10K off MSRP. I got my 07 LS at the end of the year (Oct 2007) for $10K off. However getting an 09 in May 2008 probably will not give you much room to negotiate. Please do your own research. Also try to find out TCO (true cost to own) for this truck.
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome,
A new 2008 Tahoe LS 4X4 with an MSRP of $40,000 should set you back about $34,500 after the dealer discount and current incentives.

Reliability is not much of an issue with any new vehicle these days.

The 2009 Tahoe will start hitting dealers lots in June.

Bucket seats front or center can not be ordered in an LS model, you'd need at least a 1LT to get front buckets and at least a 2LT to get the center row buckets.

The new 6-speed auto will be a nice feature but I wouldn't regard it as a show stopper by any means, if you find a nice 08 for a good price I wouldn't hesitate to make the purchase.
Old March 5th, 2008, 2:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Tall... I know exactly ehre you are coming from there, I'm6'6'.A Tahoe will be a perfect fit for you.
On the reliability end, you get lemons every now and then with any make. Even with the leading brand SUV, you'll probably have to replace a wheel bearing or a couple of bulbs prematurely, but thats very minor problems. I'll say the same thing about Ford andDodge as well.
Old March 5th, 2008, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

I just got back from test driving a 2008 Tahoe LT, I was really impressed. The ride and handling has improved so much; it is really button downed. I fit perfectly in the front and the back!!! Even with the seat all the way back in the front. The only thing I was disappointed in... was the off the line performance, it was rather sluggish compared to.... what you get in a VW Touareg V8. It was acceptable though. I wish the interior had a bit different style too, the wood was interesting. Looks like I am going to pull the trigger, I just need to decide what year... and what options, basically depends on the deal though. If I could get a 2009 LS 4x4 for 35k... that would be ideal.

Questions:

Is there a big difference between 3.73 and 4.10 Gears?

Is there any difference between a 2007 and 2008 Tahoe?
Old March 5th, 2008, 9:45 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Be sure you try one with a sunroof before you get that option as it cuts down on the front seat headroom.

The consensus (anecdotal as it is) is the 4:10 gears get better mpg due to the engine operating in its best rpm range more.

I'm not aware of any differences between 07 & 08. Might be different package content.
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Differences between 07 & 08 Tahoe LS trim:
- 5 front cup holders (08) Vs 4 for 07.
- Lumbar support wheel added for 08.
- Instrument panel lighting comes on all the time on 08 Vs on 07 they come on when parking/headlights are on. People might start firing at me for this last comment
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM
CF Junior Member

08 LS arm-rest has storage lid. Also there is a small storage place under jump-seat which I thing has a lock. But how do I know, I have 07.
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

What does the lumbar support wheel do? Move it up and down?

Does it still have the inflator control?

Where's the fifth front cupholder?

Quick Reply: New to Forum/help with purchase?