Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2006, 3:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Key Programming

Finally got my second key from GM for the 2007 Tahoe....Anyone have the instructions to program it? the dealer wants the car for 1/2 a day to do it.
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:29 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: New Key Programming

half day....it only take 5 minutes....i believe u insert ur originally key first and turn it to the second click, but dont not start the vehicle. leave in the on position for like 5-10 seconds and then shut it off....next insert the new key and follow the previous instructions...
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:16 PM
CF Active Member

Well 4 hours later and 1 wife totally pissed off at the service manager later...she now has her key programmed...glad I sent her

She could not believe that 20 minutes of work took these Yahoo's 4 FRICKEN HOURS
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:04 PM
CF Active Member

thats horrible....it only takes 5 minutes or less...talk about customer service...lol...
Old October 27th, 2006, 2:51 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be upset that the service writer didn’t forewarn me of the delay.

Sometimes people expect the dealer to drop everything and complete your seemingly easy task the second that you arrive, when in reality the service centers are forced to prioritize everything and wait for a suitable technician to complete the repair work that he has in his stall at the moment, but they should give you an accurate estimate of how long the repair will take.

In this case the service writer should know this procedure by heart and learn your new key while you wait in less than 1 minute.

Here's the exact proceedure right out of the book:

Adding Keys
Important:

• To initiate, this procedures requires that a learned master key be available.

• A total of 10 master keys or valet keys may be programmed to a single vehicle.

• This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.

• The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.

• If more than one valet key is to be learned, immediately precede each valet key with a learned master key.

With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:21 PM
CF Active Member

Not only did we make an appointment 3 days in advance, but they only did the remote and not the key[]

I am glad you posted the programming for the key...I just followed your instructions and it is now complete...
thank you