Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New/Old Member with lowering questions etc

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2014, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New/Old Member with lowering questions etc

Hello all,

I am a long time member/lurker here and 3x Suburban owner. I have had a 92 K2500, 1996 K1500LT and just bought a 1999 C1500 Cheyenne.

The new 'Burb is going to be my "shop truck", used for hauling the family occasionally and auto parts, building materials, etc. It will also move our camper around every once in a while.

I need help with 2 things and hope you guys are willing to advise me. I looked around the forum to find the info-I apologize in advance if I should have found this info out on my own.

First off, I want to put a drop kit on the truck. I'm thinking of a 3/3 using springs in the front and a flip kit in the rear. I've done coils a mountain of times, never attempted a flip kit. I'm wondering what it takes to get it installed-meaning is there any hidden hard part like dropping the gas tank to get at bolts, etc? I'm trying to gauge how much time it will take me to do at home vs. paying my shop to put it on. While I'm at least a good home tinkerer, I have a new job combined with a 9-week old so my wife isn't going to like me being out in the garage until all hours.

There aren't many pictures of these trucks on the web lowered-I really want to see some examples to help me determine what I want for wheels. I paid almost nothing for it, so I hate dropping $2500 on wheels and tires, though I think it would look pretty hot with 18's front/20's rear (I'm thinking Torque Thrusts). I will likely go with 15x8 rallys of some sort with the big and little look to save some money.

My second question-sorry this is getting so long winded-is about removing the trim on the side. This truck has the fender trims along with straight moldings down the side. Are there any locator holes down the side?? My are all dinged up-it would look cleaner without them anyway and I would like to ditch them.

I would love it if you guys posted some pics of your trucks that are similar to what I'm describing if you have the time, and I thank you for any help you're willing to give in advance.

I will post a pic or 2 when I can. Thank you.

Mike O