Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New owner of a 08 Z71 Tahoe!...with questions

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2016, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of a 08 Z71 Tahoe!...with questions

70k miles and I paid $20k.

The truck is in amazing condition outside and inside. Literally looks new without a scratch or blemish really anywhere. Drives great.

What are some of the things I need to consider maintenance wise? Mods wise?

So I have some questions. I have been trying to determine the maximum towing rating. I have the 5.3 with the 3.73 gears. I looked in the manual and it says....

5.3 | 3.73 | 7000lbs
5.3 "Extended Models" | 3.73 | 8000lbs

What exactly does "Extended Models" mean?

Old September 11th, 2016, 3:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know how on some extended cab pickup trucks, instead of four full size doors, they have two full doors, and two half doors which open from the front? Well, there are some Tahoe models like that. So it looks like an extended cab truck, sort of.

Last edited by KNERD; September 11th, 2016 at 3:10 PM.
Old September 12th, 2016, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

jranaudp: Welcome to the forum.

Not sure where the above artist's concept came from but extended for the GMT900s is referring to the Suburban model.
Old September 12th, 2016, 1:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.73 gears are the best! Best gearing for nearly every situation. If you ever tow anything you will be very happy.
Old September 12th, 2016, 7:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KNERD
You know how on some extended cab pickup trucks, instead of four full size doors, they have two full doors, and two half doors which open from the front? Well, there are some Tahoe models like that. So it looks like an extended cab truck, sort of.

^^^not sure if serious, or just trolling. That's a photoshopped picture.

The "extended models" are the Suburbans. The Tahoe only comes in one size. Small (compared to a Suburban).

I would never, ever, consider towing anything near a 7,000-lb trailer with a Tahoe. You don't have the brakes for it, you don't have the axles for it, especially the rear axle, and you don't have the wheelbase for it.

Regarding maintenance - with 70k on the clock I would look at replacing all fluids - transmission, transfer case and axles. And keep an eye on your oil consumption. The 5.3 motor is notorious for oil consumption issues due to the active fuel management system (AFM). Just Google 5.3 AFM for some light reading.

Last edited by intheburbs; September 12th, 2016 at 7:23 PM.
Old September 14th, 2016, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by intheburbs
^^^not sure if serious, or just trolling. That's a photoshopped picture.

The "extended models" are the Suburbans. The Tahoe only comes in one size. Small (compared to a Suburban).

I would never, ever, consider towing anything near a 7,000-lb trailer with a Tahoe. You don't have the brakes for it, you don't have the axles for it, especially the rear axle, and you don't have the wheelbase for it.

Regarding maintenance - with 70k on the clock I would look at replacing all fluids - transmission, transfer case and axles. And keep an eye on your oil consumption. The 5.3 motor is notorious for oil consumption issues due to the active fuel management system (AFM). Just Google 5.3 AFM for some light reading.

I figured that picture was off. I'll be towing close to 6k lbs which I think should be fine.

Thanks folks