Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:07 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

new sub

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2013, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new sub

I just purchased a new (to me) 05 Suburbsn. I have had an 00 since new. This new one has "Stabilitrak". This is new to me. My 2000 has the regular 2H-4H-4L system. How does this "Stabilitrak" system work and what do people think about it? My F-350 has manual lock out hubs and a manual transfer case and I really like that system. Am I being overly concerned about all the "automatic" stuff? Thanks.
Old October 20th, 2013, 8:49 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Stabiltrak is what saves you when you get in to a situation over your head. It worked for me when I hit a patch of water unexpectedly. It kicked out of cruise control and straightened the truck up before I could utter "Oh ****". Don't think it really has anything to do w/ the 4WD. Might check the owner's manual tho to verify. The manual stuff is great as long as you don't mind getting out in the mud, snow, etc to lock the hubs.
Old October 21st, 2013, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Back many years ago, I enjoyed shifting, getting out to change the Hubs, and fought a few slick places as Shark mentioned as well.
Since the advent of (really functional) Automatic Transmissions, Auto 4WD, ABS and other systems, which are on top of your situation SO much quicker than we can be, has really caused an additional pleasure to driving.

Kinda like having Co-Pilots who are watching out for you 24/7.

And they don't talk back either.
Old October 21st, 2013, 5:06 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Stabilitrak, in the context of the GMT800, actually does have everything to do with the 4wd system. IIRC, it was only offered in 2004-2005, so that alone says something about it. It was a pretty rare option.

It's basically an AWD system, that offers the additional functionality of a 2-speed transfer case. On paper, it looks like a decent system. Most of the Suburbans have the regular 4wd system, with a button for "auto 4wd,"
which keeps the hubs engaged, but doesn't engage the transfer case unless the computer detects slippage.

The Stabilitrak system is full-time AWD, and everything is automatic. I too was a fan of manual hubs. When I bought my first Burb, I was leery and suspicious of the automatic stuff. I learned to like it. Embrace the automatic features!

Here's a page from the owner's manual:
Name:  stabilitrak_zps6c6265f1.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  71.2 KB

And here's a pic in the vehicle:
Name:  TransButtons.jpg
Views: 2412
Size:  63.8 KB
Old October 21st, 2013, 9:06 AM
Administrator

Stabilitrak is an electronic stability system that works in conjunction with brakes and throttle to recover the truck from bad situations. Maybe it also works with the AWD system. As the manual says, see page 4-12. It is still on the Tahoe's.
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:05 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Stabilitrak is an electronic stability system that works in conjunction with brakes and throttle to recover the truck from bad situations. Maybe it also works with the AWD system. As the manual says, see page 4-12. It is still on the Tahoe's.
Yes, but Stabilitrack is different on the GMT800s compared to the GMT900s. On the 900s, it is simply braking and throttle controls. On the 800s, it offered a different layout of buttons for the transfer case.

This is the typical arrangement found on 99% of (non-Denali) GMT800 trucks with 4wd (compare to the one in my last post):

The stabilitrack system on the GMT800 was a cross between the AWD system of the Denalis (with no 2-speed transfer case) and the normal part-time 4wd system on the other GMT800 4wd vehicles that had the two-speed case.

The transfer case for trucks with Stabilitrack uses Dexron 3, whereas the regular 4wd trucks use Dexron 2 in their transfer cases, so that tells me that GM did something different.

This is one really weird option. Apparently, it was only offered for 2004 and 2005 model years, then they killed it for 2006, and then with the 900 in 2007, it became the typical stability control system.
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Since my wife got rid of her 2004, I don't have access to the owners manual. Would be interested in seeing what page 4-12 has to say about Stabilitrak.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:22 AM
CF Pro Member

<cite>Click here

</cite>
Old October 22nd, 2013, 4:55 AM
CF Beginner

I want to thank all who responded. Question...So should I use the top button or the middle button for normal everyday driving?I am in central Wisconsin, so we get quite a bit of snow and ice.I am curious to see how this works under those conditions. After reading the previous posts; I question why GM used it on certain year Subs; retained it on Tahoes; and uses it on the mid size SUV's. Thanks,rick