Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New Tahoe and I need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2012, 9:43 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JMD Tahoe
Hi everyone,
I just purchase a 2010 Chevy Tahoe flex fuel from the dealer! Its amazing! Can anyone tell me where i can find the overdrive button is on this vehicle?

Thanks
JMD
Welcome to the forum.

You can pull the shift lever down below "Drive" into "Manual" and then use the pseudo paddle shift +/- on the end of the lever to shift manually.

The initial hesitation you notice is caused by GM's torque management which eases the strain on the drivetrain and allows for the 5/100K powertrain warranty. While a tune such as done by Blackbear can remove some or all of this, it will also void the warranty if discovered and it can be discovered even if reprogrammed back to stock by an astute tech. However you can buy a second ECM and use it for the tune and replace w/ the OEM one for servicing. You can also put a Procharger blower on it. But then if you want to go fast quickly, you're probably in the wrong vehicle. Go get a Z06 or ZR1.

Last edited by 73shark; February 8th, 2012 at 9:48 PM.
Old February 8th, 2012, 9:45 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I would suspect it may be more related to the throttle by wire and torque management...
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

You can pull the shift lever down below "Drive" into "Manual" and then use the pseudo paddle shift +/- on the end of the lever to shift manually.

The initial hesitation you notice is caused by GM's torque management which eases the strain on the drivetrain and allows for the 5/100K powertrain warranty. While a tune such as done by Blackbear can remove some or all of this, it will also void the warranty if discovered and it can be discovered even if reprogrammed back to stock by an astute tech. However you can buy a second ECM and use it for the tune and replace w/ the OEM one for servicing. You can also put a Procharger blower on it. But then if you want to go fast quickly, you're probably in the wrong vehicle. Go get a Z06 or ZR1.
How can it be discovered if programmed back to stock? The dealer looks for a tune by running a Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) check which is similiar to a check sum used in computers. If it is programmed back to stock the CVN values will match what they should be. Only Global A vehicles have flash counts etc.

A second ECM will work only if you just tune the ECM. On the 6 speed the TCM is located inside the transmission case and can't be changed. If you don't tune the TCM you would be missing the greatest benefit of a tune on the 6 speeds. The AutoCal or an in person tune is the only way to tune the TCM and if you don't use the AutoCal you can't return the programming back to stock.

I have my 2011 tuned and I'm not worried about the warranty. I researched and read hundreds of threads about tunes on the 9 different forums BlackBear sponsers before deciding to get mine. I have never read a single post where anyone said they were denied warranty after returning to stock.

Last edited by HOE-N-IT; February 8th, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old February 9th, 2012, 7:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
I would suspect it may be more related to the throttle by wire and torque management...
Adding a ground wire to the TB will help on fly -by-wire systems. I have a 2001 Durango with the 4.7 that had a bit of lag time, much like the 'Hoe does on take off. I added a 6ga wire to the TB bolt and ran it to the frame. The Durango's hesitation lessened quite a bit.

I'm planning on doing this to the 'Hoe as well.
Old February 9th, 2012, 8:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by HOE-N-IT
How can it be discovered if programmed back to stock? The dealer looks for a tune by running a Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) check which is similiar to a check sum used in computers. If it is programmed back to stock the CVN values will match what they should be. Only Global A vehicles have flash counts etc.

A second ECM will work only if you just tune the ECM. On the 6 speed the TCM is located inside the transmission case and can't be changed. If you don't tune the TCM you would be missing the greatest benefit of a tune on the 6 speeds. The AutoCal or an in person tune is the only way to tune the TCM and if you don't use the AutoCal you can't return the programming back to stock.

I have my 2011 tuned and I'm not worried about the warranty. I researched and read hundreds of threads about tunes on the 9 different forums BlackBear sponsers before deciding to get mine. I have never read a single post where anyone said they were denied warranty after returning to stock.
According to a fairly knowledgeable computer geek, even tho you change back to the factory program, there are detectable remnants of the tune left behind. Now whether or not a dealer has the means to detect that is a question that I don't have an answer for.

Out of curiousity, what does the TCM tune on the six-speed do?
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:16 PM
CF Junior Member

It changes the shift points (if desired), firms up the shift and makes the shifts quicker. I hated the way my 6 speed shifted and was the only reason I decided to get a tune. A little more power is nice but not the deciding factor for me.

Under normal driving with light to even moderate acceleration it would shift way to soon and then just fall flat and lug until it built a few more RPM's and then it would shift again and lug. I could even feel it hesitate and stumble at times right after shifting. It was like it was programmed to get to sixth gear as fast as possible. It also didn't want to shift down when needed to gain speed or even maintain speed on a grade. If I kept giving it gas it would finally shift down sometimes 2 gears and start accelerating quicker then I intended and with high RPM's. The tune raised the shift points to where it had enough RPM's after shifting that it didn't just fall flat and lug. It also now shifts down when needed. Shifts are quicker and firmer but not harsh. It really feels like a whole different vehicle. On some of the other forums a lot of people have the same complaints yet others said theirs shifted just fine. Some even reported using the manual mode to keep it out of 5th and 6th for city/suburb driving.
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Did you notice any change in mpg?
Old February 10th, 2012, 7:55 AM
CF Junior Member

I gained about .5 to 1 MPG in city driving. Highway MPG stayed the same. I don't know if this was due to the engine or transmission being tuned or a combination of both. Others have reported similiar gains.
Old February 10th, 2012, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

I believe u can change shifting point with the regular tune.... Correct me if I'm wrong?
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by HOE-N-IT
I gained about .5 to 1 MPG in city driving. Highway MPG stayed the same. I don't know if this was due to the engine or transmission being tuned or a combination of both. Others have reported similar gains.
Suspect the tranny tune probably the major contributor to the better mpg due to firmer shifts w/ less slippage.

Quick Reply: New Tahoe and I need help!!!