Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Newbie. Info on 2003 Burb K2500

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2011, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie. Info on 2003 Burb K2500

First time poster and a die hard GM owner (66 Chevelle SS, 70 Chevelle Convertible, 93 Burb k1500, 07 Yukon).

Im looking at a used 2003 Burb K2500. I have never owned a 3/4 ton truck. In addition I little to no expereince with the Vortec style motors and the 4L80E trans. The truck Im looking at is in great shape but it has 198K mies on it. The price on it is great and I cant stop looking at it. So can any experienced 6.0L Vortec owners with the 4L80E transmission owners chime in. Any know of the weak spots to look for on this truck?

Any insight about the reliability, durability of this truck and especially its drive train would be appretiated.

Finally the two things wrong with this truck is the CD player doesnt work (Bose 6 disc) and the needle of the oil pressure is pinned. The radio Im pretty confident I can buy a reconditioned factory unit with 90 day warranty, but any insight is appretiated. The oil pressure pinned to full poistion I would guess is the oil pressure sending switch but agian I dont know this truck so any insight is appretiated.

Scott
Old August 5th, 2011, 7:09 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 30-A rider
First time poster and a die hard GM owner (66 Chevelle SS, 70 Chevelle Convertible, 93 Burb k1500, 07 Yukon).

Im looking at a used 2003 Burb K2500. I have never owned a 3/4 ton truck. In addition I little to no expereince with the Vortec style motors and the 4L80E trans. The truck Im looking at is in great shape but it has 198K mies on it. The price on it is great and I cant stop looking at it. So can any experienced 6.0L Vortec owners with the 4L80E transmission owners chime in. Any know of the weak spots to look for on this truck?

Any insight about the reliability, durability of this truck and especially its drive train would be appretiated.

Finally the two things wrong with this truck is the CD player doesnt work (Bose 6 disc) and the needle of the oil pressure is pinned. The radio Im pretty confident I can buy a reconditioned factory unit with 90 day warranty, but any insight is appretiated. The oil pressure pinned to full poistion I would guess is the oil pressure sending switch but agian I dont know this truck so any insight is appretiated.

Scott
well of the engine/trans combos available that seems to be the better. l80's are pretty stout and I haven't heard about them having the issues that the l60's have after pulling stuff.

buddy of mine has a esky with the same combo and I'm impressed with it. but then again I'm pleased with my 5.3/l60 burb...

as for the oil pressure, I'm thinking the same thing, I'd look at the sending unit..

:chug:
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30A,

I don't have much to say about the engine/tranny combos, but there are some other things you should be aware of. Though you didn't say what model you have LS/LT, should you have some bells and whistles on it, you should do a little searching for some problems which have occurred with too great a frequency.

My suggestions are...

"Reduced Engine Power"
"A/C Actuators"
"Growl in Differential"