Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Newbie question about 2007-2009 Tahoe towing package

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2018, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question about 2007-2009 Tahoe towing package

I'm shopping for a 2007-2009 Tahoe and I have two doubts about the "towing package" that could have been ordered when new for these units. The questions are as follows:
  1. Does the factory towing package also include the lower (higher numerically) rear-axle ratio?
  2. If you look at a Tahoe's rear end, can it be assumed that IF it has a factory hitch receiver (as shown in the following image), THEN the unit should have been originally ordered with the towing package (and thus have the lower rear-end ratio)?

I'm interested in easily identifying if a used unit offered for sale has the lower rear-end ratio or not (since I'm interested in towing.)

Thanks!

Best regards,
Ray
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:56 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe they ALL have said hitch.
2009 adds a 6 speed auto and built in electric brake controller.
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the top of this page in the tool section is a VIN decorder. Type in the VIN and it should be able to tell you the rear end ratio and maybe some info on a tow package. Also, check the gear selector by the steering wheel to see if it has a tow mode on the gear selector and if you can electronically select a grear. You can also take a flashlight and see if it has an auxiliary oil cooler in front of the radiator. All
These features help with towing.
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent information -- thank you very much to one and all!