Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Newby with Questions...

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2014, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Newby with Questions...

Hey gents,

For the most part, I've been a Ford guy, Mustangs mainly, but now that I'm older, and have a team of children, I am going back to a Suburban because they have honestly been the most reliable and cost effective vehicle for transporting close to anything. I am sticking to the 00~06 body and looking at a 1500 4x4. The pickings are pretty high mileage so in the long run I will be going with a built 6.0L to replace the many worn 5.3's that I am coming across. I don't intend to tow anything crazy, nor am I a lead foot (Should that happen, there are plenty of small fun cars out there to buy .

Main question being, I've been doing research into the block, and what I want to do with it, but now not sure if the stock trans that comes with the 5.3 chassis (gear box as well since I plan to get 4x4) would hold up to a lightly upped 6.0L? If not what box would be a good drop in?

Best Regards,

-Daniel
Old December 30th, 2014, 11:04 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

IIRC, the 4L60E in the 00-06 trucks is rated to handle ~360 ft-lbs of torque. The 5.3 is rated at 325 ft-lbs. Not a lot of room for extra torque.

My '01 has the original engine with 195k miles, and she still runs great. You're more likely to have to replace the transmission, rear axle, or front hub/bearing assemblies before you have to replace the engine.
Old December 31st, 2014, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Thats what I am reading more about. I figure that the 5.3 would be more than sufficient. But even mild add-on's can close the gap between flywheel power and what the tranny can tolerate. I know there is some buffer zone (in most cases) is there a way to beef up the tranny? Better servo's clutches etc? Just trying to get the most info before I pull the trigger come Feb/Mar
Old December 31st, 2014, 4:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, there are shops that beef up these transmission. Just Google something like "4L60 upgrade," or something like that.

I've seen 4L60 upgrades that can handle 1000 hp.

FYI - the 2500 Burbs, while sharing the body with their half-ton counterparts, are completely different trucks under the body - engine, transmission, axles, frame, suspension. All heavier duty. The 4L80 transmission is much beefier, and can take more abuse and power. Even better - find a 2500 with the 8.1 big block and the Allison transmission. Fun, fun, fun!
Old January 2nd, 2015, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

the 2500 would of course be preferred, not really for towing, but for power capability of the rig. I don't plan to make a swamp thrasher but a vehicle I would be more than happy to push a bit on the trails. Towing wise, all the trailers I've looked at are more than within the standard capacity of the 1/2 ton series.

I'll look into 4L60 upgrades and see what I would be happy with. Thanks fellas!