Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Nitrogen in tires

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2008, 2:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrogen in tires

Just wanted to let everybody know thatI let my dealer talk me into replacing the normal air inside my tires with Nitrogen the other day. He said its suppose to increase gasmileage, prolong wearon your tires and improve the ride. I have 20"wheels with 285/55/20 Cooperoffroad tiresand to tell you the truth...my07 Tahoe rode like a dumptruck until I did this. TheNitrogen really does work. Before whenit was cold I could tell the tires were cold and sort of felt like they had a flat spot until they warmed up...then the ride got a little smoother. Now it rides good all the time. For all you guys out there that have the 22's and 24's you might want to give this a try...I was shocked at the difference in the ride. The dealership charged me 10.00 a tireand said ifI had any problems withtire pressure or anythingthey would fix it. Let me know if any of you try this andwhat kind of results you get.

Thanks
Old April 30th, 2008, 2:52 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Nitrogen in tires

When I first read this post I started to laugh and thought boy they saw him coming, surprised they didn't talk him into putting some fancy bottled water in with the anti-freeze, however after doing some reading apparently there is some truth to the statement…

http://www.getnitrogen.org/index.php

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/28/Tampabay/Nitrogen_in_your_tire.shtml

http://www.n2generator.com/id66.html

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/070216.html

Looks as if Costco is a big seller of Nitrogen in tires
Old April 30th, 2008, 6:06 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm currently using the 80% nitrogen fill.
Old April 30th, 2008, 6:35 PM
CF Junior Member

I have nitrogen in my suburbans tires. Pressures have stayed constant over the past year. They read constant regardles of being cold or hot.
I say well worth it.
BTW costco does not charge for nitrogen, it is included in their installation. Stop by and they will check/top off as needed for NC.
Old April 30th, 2008, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Guys,

I am a supporter of the Nitrogen in the tires just put my 20" Centerlines on and went back to my local tire shop and had them check the pressure. Good to go! Think about the racing world because this is where this started, Nitrogen will not expand, heat up so it stays constent more accurate. I say Just Do It!!!
Old April 30th, 2008, 9:09 PM
CF Active Member

If you consistently keep your tires properly inflated with air, what is gained by filling them with nitrogen? A smoother ride? Better mpg?

Old April 30th, 2008, 9:20 PM
CF Active Member

I'm currently using the 80% nitrogen fill
Duh - I just got it 73shark!!!!!
Old April 30th, 2008, 9:25 PM
Administrator

I think that was part of the move to nitrogen is that you can be a little more lacksidasical with keeping up proper tire inflation, that and from what I read it also controls tire temperature and helps prevent the rubber and rim from deteriorating from moisture in normal compressed air, the airline industry uses it to also prevent fires when the tire burst for the above reasons NASCAR uses it. The nutshell I get on it is if you can get it cheaply installed then do it, otherwise just maintain your tires pressure and you’ll be just fine. Consumer reports kinda poo pooed it as benefical to the average joe...
Old April 30th, 2008, 9:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Ingersoll Rand
Better air pressure retention -- Nitrogen doesn't seep out through the tire walls like Oxygen can, so tires remain fully inflated longer.
Enhanced fuel economy -- Nitrogen dissipates heat faster than air, and heat causes rolling resistance. "Maintaining tire pressure can supposedly boost fuel economy by as much as 6 percent."
Longer tread life -- Filling your tires with pure Nitrogen makes tires run cooler, which will reduce tire failure. It also prevents oxidation, which can cause tread separation and belt failure. Since Nitrogen doesn't carry moisture, it won't cause rust on the inside of rims and valve stems.
Slow chemical aging -- "Filling a tire with Nitrogen also significantly slows the chemical aging process of the tire's rubber components."
Old May 1st, 2008, 8:50 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: in2pro

Looks as if Costco is a big seller of Nitrogen in tires
Looks like my dealership does offer the nitrogen for all 5 tires for 49.95...think I'll pass on this one for now....

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in tires