Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

No Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2013, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank No Start

So I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban LT 5.3. After a week of cold last week and Saturday morning I go out and it wouldn't start. The battery was weak (and original) so I replaced it. So I have voltage and current now. Still no cranking. Gauges and.lights prove out ok. 12V at battery post on starter solenoid. No power at ignition post on starter solenoid when ignition in any position. All fuses and relays check ok. 12V at one terminal for starter relay (relay removed). No power at any other terminals for relay. Ignition switch? Thanks. Randy
Old January 8th, 2013, 3:17 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Do you by chance have a lot of keys on your key ring? too much weight can be hell on the ignition switch..
I don't have access to diagrams at the moment but will see what I can find and post for the ignition switch later this evening...
Old January 8th, 2013, 3:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by whiskey59er
So I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban LT 5.3. After a week of cold last week and Saturday morning I go out and it wouldn't start. The battery was weak (and original) so I replaced it. So I have voltage and current now. Still no cranking. Gauges and.lights prove out ok. 12V at battery post on starter solenoid. No power at ignition post on starter solenoid when ignition in any position. All fuses and relays check ok. 12V at one terminal for starter relay (relay removed). No power at any other terminals for relay. Ignition switch? Thanks. Randy
I assume that is the fused leg to the relay, then to the pump with relay energized. With relay out, and with voltmeter you should read battery voltage to the coil pin of the relay, if not, my take is ignition switch. I should also add, it could be nuetral saftey switch if no voltage to the relay coil when crank is initiated.
Old January 8th, 2013, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

in2pro...no not a lot of keys. Just single key. Ignition cylinder feels right and smooth still. Without a schematic I am assuming no current to starter solenoid....back up to starter relay...12V to one terminal then none to any others? If I am thinking correctly, in start position ignition sends current to a second terminal at relay...closing the relay allowing current to starter solenoid. Now back to ignition switch....or as kevinkpk brought up....neutral safety switch.
Old January 8th, 2013, 4:36 PM
CF Monarch

Relay has a fused battery voltage to the relay contact (not real familar with "newer" stuff) When you engage the crank/start column switch/key with the tranny in nuetral, that should energize the starter relay coil, closing the normally open contacts on the relay to send fused battery voltage to the starter solenoid. (shew). You can bypass the circuit with a screwdriver to the starter solenoid, however based on what you posted my guess is the battery voltage to the starter is good, and something isn't allowing the relay to energize or bad contacts on the relay.
Old January 8th, 2013, 4:47 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm astonished that the OEM battery last 11 or 12 years.
Old January 8th, 2013, 6:48 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by 73shark
I'm astonished that the OEM battery last 11 or 12 years.
Yea, me too. Although he posted original battery, well....
Old January 9th, 2013, 3:51 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Might want to try shifting to neutral and see if it starts... It could be the park/neutral switch...
Old November 28th, 2020, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Equinox clicks but won't start

I bought my 2012 Chevy equinox used, couple months ago I started having a problem with it starting. It is random and doesn't always do it. But I put the key in the ignition, everything comes on with no problem. Nothing is dim. Try turning it on and it just clicks once and that's it. I turn the key off and take it out and try again. Sometimes it will start right up the second time, others it's three to four times before it will start. Does anyone have any suggestions before I have to take it to the dealership?
Old November 28th, 2020, 9:09 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

1. Work on the no cranking.

2. See above.