Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

No fluid in transfer case

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2015, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No fluid in transfer case

My wife is going out of town on Friday, so I thought I'd finally change the transfer case and transmission fluids today. I purchased the bottles a year ago but was lacking motivation. When I unscrewed the drain bolt, only about 1/4 cup of fluid drained out. We've had the suburban about 2 years, and I have checked the transmission fluid regularly, and it isn't overfull, and it's still red (hence, the lack of motivation - I thought everything was OK). I have a really bad feeling about the trip now. There is no telling how long the fluid has been gone for, but the suburban appears to run OK. I don't see fluid splashed anywhere. I'm not sure what to check for, so can anyone give me some things to check? I'm going to fill the transfer case up, but I almost feel as if I should run the truck a couple days and change it again before she leaves. Thanks

Forgot to add this is a 2003 Z71 with the Auto Track.

Last edited by baskervi1; May 25th, 2015 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added additional truck details
Old May 25th, 2015, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Found the cause of the leak - will JB weld work?

I've attached a couple images. There is a sizeable hole in the transfer case as noted in the red circle. Is this something that can be patched with JB Weld or something like this? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails No fluid in transfer case-xfer1.jpg   No fluid in transfer case-xfer2.jpg  
Old May 25th, 2015, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Is this the pump rub scenario I recently asked about?
Old May 25th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by baskervi1
I've attached a couple images. There is a sizeable hole in the transfer case as noted in the red circle. Is this something that can be patched with JB Weld or something like this? Thanks
If there is clearance on the inside, I would drill and tap the hole and insert a pipe plug with JB Weld. JB Weld by itself might work if you can get it clean enough for it to stick.
Old May 25th, 2015, 7:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

yes this is pump rub. no, jb weld alone will not fix it.

you can get a new case half from dorman and then install a revised oil pump retainer clip.
the cheaper option is to install a brny cover and jb weld the hole.
Old May 25th, 2015, 7:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Looks like the brny is a much better fix than the chevy revised clip.
Old May 26th, 2015, 8:36 AM
Super Moderator

or do some preventative maintenance and install the $12 clip before the pump makes the hole.
Old May 26th, 2015, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the input, guys. We'll probably have the Burb for a few more years, so I'm ordering a new rear case half and revised oil pump retainer clip. I've not taken a transfer case off before and attempted a repair, but I watched a few videos and it doesn't look too hard.
Old May 26th, 2015, 9:16 PM
Super Moderator

use a large pail or bucket as a stand for the case to sit in while you split it apart.
Old May 27th, 2015, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Had the same problem - exact same vehicle year and model as you as well. JB Weld has fixed the problem for me (for now at least) and appears to be holding steady. My transfer case actually had two holes in it, so make sure you look everything over - although if you're replacing the rear-half of the case - it won't matter.

I, like you, immediately was about to buy a new case backing and drop the t-case to replace (would do the BRNY fix while I was in there), however, I figured "what the heck - I'll spend the $10 for JB Weld and try that first" not thinking it was too likely to hold. Sure enough, 2 months and 1,000 miles later my t-case is still sealed shut and no leaks. I applied three thick coatings of JB weld, after I degreased the area around the holes, and used a steel wire tip drill bit to polish the metal around the holes to prep for the JB Weld.

Here is a link to my thread about it: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...d-71141/page3/

Still PO'd at the crappy design of the thing. No recall from GM either even though this is a notoriously common problem. Surprise surprise.

It's still unclear to me what was damaged from the prior owner running the vehicle without any transfer case fluid. He rarely used 4WD so I think it may have been spared. If your wife rarely used 4WD, you may have lucked out (knock on wood).

Quick Reply: No fluid in transfer case