Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

No fluid in transfer case

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2015, 1:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

if you do nothing to secure the pump, it will just hammer out the jb weld and hammer new holes at the other tab locations. you will have a repeat leak...just a matter of time.
Old May 28th, 2015, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tech2
if you do nothing to secure the pump, it will just hammer out the jb weld and hammer new holes at the other tab locations. you will have a repeat leak...just a matter of time.
Yes that seems to be the consensus. I did a fair amount of reading on the topic and there are instances of the JB Weld lasting for several years. I guess it depends how much you drive - I have a short commute and the 'burb does part-time duty with another vehicle.

To the OP - good luck with the t-case drop. Let us know how it goes - I am personally very interested for obvious reasons.
Old October 28th, 2015, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Just an update on this - my JB Weld fix is still holding strong after about 5000 miles of driving. Probably just jinxed myself but figured I'd post an update.
Old October 29th, 2015, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default JB Weld works!

Thanks for the reply. I took the risk of using JB weld since my wife was getting ready to leave town and take the Suburban. I was going to fix the transfer case permanently when I had a little more time, but as luck (or unluck) would have it, she totaled the Suburban 2 months ago. This is no longer a problem.

This is far from a permanent fix given the root cause/design flaw of the problem isn't fixed, but it sure works.