Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Noisy Aspirator in 2005 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy Aspirator in 2005 Suburban

Just noticed that last week when sitting in my wifes Suburban the aspirator fan is very noisy at idle. Seems to go away when you speed up. How do you get off the cover on the unit. Is it speed related and is it easy to replace? It alsmost seems like the fan is hitting the cover of the grill.

Any help here???
TYIA

Last edited by 05BurbinCt; November 9th, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old November 9th, 2010, 4:30 PM
Administrator

Received 162 Likes on 160 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Not familiar w/ the aspirator fan. Where is it?
Old November 9th, 2010, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

It is located in the headline directly above your head to the left in my Suburban. It looks like a 1" mini speaker.
Old November 9th, 2010, 9:42 PM
Administrator

That's the fan for the temp sensor for the HVAC system. On the NBS, it just pulls out of the headliner. Some have had success w/ lightly lubing the motor while others had to replace.
Old November 11th, 2010, 1:57 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon

Above the Headliner

(1) Sunroof Module (CF5)
(2) Courtesy/Reading Lamps - 2nd Row
(3) Courtesy/Reading Lamps - 3rd Row
(4) Inside Air Temperature Sensor - Rear (CJ2 w/C69)
(5) Headliner
(6) Inside Air Temperature Sensor - Front (CJ2)
(7) Inside Rearview Mirror (ISRVM)
(8) Outside Moisture Sensor (CE1)
Attached Thumbnails Noisy Aspirator in 2005 Suburban-headliner-view-top.jpg  
Old November 11th, 2010, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Just ordered the part from GM Direct. P/N 25903301 delaer wanted $53.26, Shipped direct to me for $37. Will let you know how easy it goes in. Talked to the dealer today and he said to remove the A pillar cover and drop the headliner. Two clips and it will pull out easy.
We will see....
Thanks for all the help...
Old November 21st, 2010, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Ok..
Finally got the part in and installed today. A few things that may help you with the change out of this aspirator (fan). Remove the front pillar cover. BE CAREFUL !! the bottom of this cover has a plug connected to it for the small speaker in front. Don't tug on it.. and you don't have to remove it totally from the wire. Just lay it on the dash. Next remove the sun visor mounts both left and right. BE CAREFUL !! There is a wire connected to this as well for the lighted mirror. You don't have to disconnect it. Just lay it on the dashboard. NOTE: If you have a sun roof, you will need to remove the weather stripping to allow the headliner to pull down far enough to get your hand in between the headliner and the roof to remove the plug on the fan. Also you have to remove the weather stripping around the door opening just enough to clear the headliner.
Once you can get your hand up there, take a small flat blade screw driver and lift up on the center tab of the wire connector to release the plug from the fan body. Once free, you will have to pry the fan body from the grate on the inside of the cabin. There are four ribbed tabs that fit into the face of the fan body. It feels as you are breaking the body of the fan from the grate before it comes off.

Plug the new fan into the connector, Place over the hole in the headliner, align the grate from the inside of the cabin, and snap into place. Re-assemble in reverse order.

Good luck, email me if you have any questions.

BEFORE You replace this item, you may want to buy a bottle of compressed air for computers and try blowing the fan off before disassembling everything. My fan was making all kinds of noise. Once I removed and inspected, the fan was full of dust and probably running off center due to the weight. I would try it first for $3. before I disassemble everything.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
That's the fan for the temp sensor for the HVAC system. On the NBS, it just pulls out of the headliner. Some have had success w/ lightly lubing the motor while others had to replace.
My AC fans don't blow hard at all, the increase fan speed display seems to show that I have fan speed adjustment in that they display increasing icons, yet my fans only blow ever so slightly. My aspirator fan makes a noise as well, could this be the reason for my A/C not blowing hard, there is cool air coming out, but again, its the fan speed has not control other than blowing very weakly. ?? thanks
Old July 23rd, 2012, 4:04 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

You should be able to control the fan speed manually which take it out of the "Auto" mode. If you can't, then I doubt the aspirator fan is the problem.
Old July 24th, 2012, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

73shark - thanks, ya, there is no control of fan speed other than the elec bar graph display increases and decreases as I push the up/dwn cntrl button. So on this Aspirator note, What does the Aspirator do, what is it used for, and how does it work? And How does one know it is working properly? And then back to my fan speed adjustment not working, I've read on other posts something about a Blower Resistor being a problem when only a few fan speeds work out of 5 (mine has 7 bar graphs stacks indicating fan speed on a dual air controller on my 2003 1500HD). Do I have a Blower Resistor and do you think that could be the problem? Thanks in advance!....

Quick Reply: Noisy Aspirator in 2005 Suburban