Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Is this normal when buying new wheels?

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2016, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal when buying new wheels?

Hello,

I have a 2013 3/4 ton Suburban. Since all the wheels had rust and a lot of damage, I decided to order some new OEM wheels from my Chevy dealer. I also ordered new (mounted) tires.

I asked the dealer to mount and balance the four wheel/tires before shipping them to me. The wheels (with their mounted tires) just arrived. These wheels have some rim weights on the inside face of the wheels, plus some stick on weights closer to the outside face of the wheel.

On the old, damaged wheels, I never took the time to check whether they had the stick-on weights; I did notice some of them had rim weights.

So my question is : Is it normal to combine rim and stick-on weights on new OEM wheels? Is this how they come from the factory on a new vehicle?

Thanks for reading.
Old December 18th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

They did a good job.

anytime a clip on weight is installed on a rim it scratches the finish. this will allow corrosion to set up on the scratched surface. the rear of the rim is not seen so weights can be hammered on there. putting a stick on weight on the visible side takes more time but saves the rim.

always ask the tire shop to use stick on weights on the outside if you have aluminum rims. steel rims does not matter.

I have alloy rims on my 06 taurus and they are in mint condition...they have never seen hammer on weights except the original ones from the factory.

they can come in either configuration from factory. Anytime an alloy rim comes from factory will hammer on weights on the outside. have sticks on weights installed for all future balancing and stick on or hammer on weights on the inside.

some installers statically balance the wheels...which places the weight only on the inside. it is fast, easy and saves scratches but dynamically balanced wheels are a better method. So make sure they dynamically balance your wheels using stick on weights on the outside.

Last edited by tech2; December 18th, 2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old December 18th, 2016, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
They did a good job.

anytime a clip on weight is installed on a rim it scratches the finish. this will allow corrosion to set up on the scratched surface. the rear of the rim is not seen so weights can be hammered on there. putting a stick on weight on the visible side takes more time but saves the rim.

always ask the tire shop to use stick on weights on the outside if you have aluminum rims. steel rims does not matter.

I have alloy rims on my 06 taurus and they are in mint condition...they have never seen hammer on weights except the original ones from the factory.

they can come in either configuration from factory. Anytime an alloy rim comes from factory will hammer on weights on the outside. have sticks on weights installed for all future balancing and stick on or hammer on weights on the inside.

some installers statically balance the wheels...which places the weight only on the inside. it is fast, easy and saves scratches but dynamically balanced wheels are a better method. So make sure they dynamically balance your wheels using stick on weights on the outside.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post -- and responding!
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Also a lot of the newer alloy wheels are flangeless on the outside so stick-ons are the only option.
Old December 20th, 2016, 8:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

funniest or saddest thing i have seen was a truck come in with weights hammered onto a flangeless rim. must have took a whole lot of hammering.