Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

O/S Temperature Sensor/Compass

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2011, 7:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/S Temperature Sensor/Compass

My 1998 Suburban 1500 4x4 has the D95 RPO code which is supposed to mean electronic compass and O/S air temp on the rearview mirror. The compass works fine but there is no temperature reading.

When the truck is started up, the display shows all the elements (include F and C for temp but after that, all I get is the compass display. When I first got it in the summer, the compass was way off, so I found how to put the right district code into it. So the compass is bang on now.

Is it possible the temperature sensor is missing or do some models have the compass only and not the temperature.

Thanks..
Old November 27th, 2011, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Legolas,

If you haven't solved your issue yet, you might want to check the local junkyards for a replacement. You can get the mirror, wires, and sensor for under $20. Then you don't have to worry about determining which part failed.

I have a related question.

I found a 96 Suburban at the junkyard with an intact rearview temperature/compass mirror. I snagged it (model GNTX-140) to install in my SUV. I got all the wiring and the mirror plug that goes from the mirror to the fusebox, but unfortunately, the front end had already been picked clean. I found what could be the temp sensor laying in the truck among scrap parts, but I'm not sure 1) if this is a temp sensor, )2 if it is, whether it belongs to the Suburban or another vehicle, 3) how to connect it to the mirror. The 3 wires from the possible temp sensor/probe are dark green, light green, and blue. The 4 wires from the mirror are orange, light green, pink, and black. Pics of the part I'm describing are attached.

Name:  tempsensorsuburban2small.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  27.8 KB

Name:  tempsensorsuburbansmall.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  tempsensorwiressuburbansmall.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  35.2 KB
Old November 28th, 2011, 6:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the reply-Still same issue. I will check the junk yards. That part looks like the same thing. Mine is just behind the center of the grille. Too dark right now. I'll check to see the colour of the wires going to it.
Old November 28th, 2011, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

legolas894- That part looks like the same thing. Mine is just behind the center of the grille. Too dark right now. I'll check to see the colour of the wires going to it.
Thanks, I appreciate your help. I had just about given up on finding the temp sensor when I saw that black part attached to wires laying in the truck under some interior panels.

I took a closer look at the possible temp sensor- the wires coming out of it are dark green, dark green, and blue. One green one was just really grimy; they are both the same color green. Here's a few more pix:

The complete wiring harness:

One red plug (yellow and light blue wires), white plug (light blue, green, and yellow wires), and black plug (light blue and green wires).

Name:  wiresharnesssuburban.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  53.4 KB

closeup of wires coming out of the possible temp sensor:
Name:  tempsensorwires.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  25.3 KB

Last edited by Wiseguymmiv; November 28th, 2011 at 10:11 PM.