Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Odd looking paint chips

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2017 | 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Odd looking paint chips

So I have these paint chips on the top of my Tahoe between the sunroof and windshield, the two big ones have been there for a year or so, they started small but have gotten bigger. I have no idea where they came from, I am not aware of being hit by any rocks or anything and I now have several more.
There are 2 large ones ( not quite dime size, but very close ), 2 smaller ones ( about half the size of the larger ones ), and several tiny ones, like barely noticeable. I have attached some photos so you can see.
They are unlike the normal paint chips I have seen in the fact that they are very rusty from the beginning and have discoloration around the edges and some have a streaming pattern coming from the chip ( see photos ).
Has anyone seen chips like these before? They are slowly peeling and getting bigger so I need to take care of them soon, but I just thought I would share and see if anyone has experienced these as well.

Old March 3rd, 2017 | 3:21 PM
Administrator

What year? Probably should have touched them up when first noticed.
Old March 3rd, 2017 | 3:41 PM
CF Monarch

The next to the last image looks like it was caused by excessive heat, perhaps welding sparks. Only way I know to deal with it is, feather the paint out to the edges, and prime. Probably will have to have the whole thing painted.
Old March 3rd, 2017 | 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

73shark: It's an 09. I definitely should have touched them a long time ago and now I have several to take care of...

kevinpk: Thanks for the tip. Excessive heat makes sense, I wish I knew what happened.