Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Oh noooooo I bought a 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2014, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oh noooooo I bought a 2007 Tahoe

Wish I read this forum before I purchased my truck. I have only had it for week and have no issues yet, but looking at the AFM threads has me scared to death. I had a blazer back in 86 and many other vehicles since then.
now needed something to pull my boat and get around on the beach, so a jeep was out of the question, and thus I now have this Tahoe LTZ.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 3:31 AM
CF Senior Member

What is an AFM?

What has you scared? I have had 6 of the old new body style trucks between
My wife and myself. I have had a battery drain issue in the 07, fixed by computer. They have replaced the steering column on 3 of them(slight shake, and I have delt with same dealer for 25 years. So they look to make me happy)
A door panel replacement, a shock absorber replaced , and some recall stuff. Oh yea the nav screen went out on one. No tranny or engine issues. Car has been very reliable in all weather.
I have not burned a drop of oil in any of them. I have so much confidence in this car, I got my father one. These trucks run pretty smoothly and go pretty much where ever I needed them to go.

Every vehicle will require maintenance and will be as sound as the guys that owned it before you. If they beat on it, you may have a problem. If not then
You will have fewer problems. Nothing lasts forever and you should expect a problem or two.
But overall you will enjoy your new truck.

Last edited by blueinterceptor; November 2nd, 2014 at 3:34 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 9:02 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by blueinterceptor
What is an AFM?
AFM is Active Fuel Management

The problems with the AFM system is that the AFM lifters can fail, taking out the lifters and cam shaft resulting in engine failure... cost to repair/replace can be in the thousands....
I have over 100k miles on my 07 with no issues...
Old November 3rd, 2014, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Fingers crossed

thanks guys. There are so many people here who have had very expensive problems I was beginning to think I made a huge mistake.
Hoping and praying it will be a good truck and repairs will be minimal.
Old November 6th, 2014, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

Just enjoy your vehicle. Don't suffer from the problems which have not yet occurred )
Old November 6th, 2014, 5:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeylt
thanks guys. There are so many people here who have had very expensive problems I was beginning to think I made a huge mistake.
Hoping and praying it will be a good truck and repairs will be minimal.

if you ever have the oil pan removed, have the afm shield installed over the afm valve. It will stop oil consumption issues if its installed before the oil control rings crud up. If I had one of these, it would be the first thing I get done.
Old November 7th, 2014, 3:25 AM
CF Beginner

I've had 8 Tahoes and Avalanches. Usually put 80,000 miles or so on them in a couple of years before giving them to my son. His current 2010 has 110,000 miles and looks and runs like new. I have never had an engine problem with any of them. My current 2012 Tahoe LTZ That I bought as a leftover in 2013 has 50,000 miles with no major problems and I just ordered a 2015. Just keep up with the oil changes and enjoy the truck.
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by raress9596
I've had 8 Tahoes and Avalanches. Usually put 80,000 miles or so on them in a couple of years before giving them to my son. His current 2010 has 110,000 miles and looks and runs like new. I have never had an engine problem with any of them. My current 2012 Tahoe LTZ That I bought as a leftover in 2013 has 50,000 miles with no major problems and I just ordered a 2015. Just keep up with the oil changes and enjoy the truck.

Welcome to the forum...
I would like to add to that not just keeping up with oil changes but also regularly checking the oil level!
The owners manual clearly states to check your oil level at every fill up, I know very few of us really do it that often but it should be an item you check a couple times a month...I am beginning to believe a lot of the AFM failures are due to the oil level getting too low in engines that have consumption issues...
Old November 8th, 2014, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum...
I would like to add to that not just keeping up with oil changes but also regularly checking the oil level!
The owners manual clearly states to check your oil level at every fill up, I know very few of us really do it that often but it should be an item you check a couple times a month...I am beginning to believe a lot of the AFM failures are due to the oil level getting too low in engines that have consumption issues...
Thank you for the welcome! You're 100% right about checking the oil. I'm guilty when it comes to that. I check it on rare occasion. Guess I'm lucky in the respect that none of my trucks or cars has ever used any oil between oil changes. Then again I don't let any of my vehicles go more than 3 months or 3,000 miles between oil changes. I don't go by the oil % on the DIC. ALso my dealer gives you $7 oil changes when you buy a new vehicle and I take advantage of it.