Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Oil Changes: Trust the DIC?

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2007, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Changes: Trust the DIC?

Just wanted some feedback on the oil life monitor in the DIC. I switched to synthetic on July 11th, 1829 miles (Penzoil). We've got 9145 miles as of Oct 4th. So it's been about 3 months (85 days) and 7316 miles since the oil change. I was under the impression that a general rule of thumb for synthetic was 7500 miles, so I'm surprised (pleasantly) that the oil life on the DIC is still at 27%.

From previous posts, I know that the oil life monitor does more than just track the miles & time since the last change, but if you use the DIC life to project the next oil change, it'll be around 10000 miles & 4 months. I just wanted to make sure this sounded right to the knowledgeable folks on this board, or if I should change it sooner.

In general, should I use a number on the DIC as a prompt to change (i.e. 5% life remaining), or just pick a mileage / time number? I assume the DIC is accurate, but just wanna be sure. Thanks!
Old October 4th, 2007, 8:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Oil Changes: Trust the DIC?

I change mine at 90 days or 50%, witchever comes first.
Old October 4th, 2007, 8:18 PM
CF Junior Member

I follow the DIC on all my cars. My last car (Cadillac CTS) in 30k miles using Mobil 1 only had 2 oil changes. The dealer said bring it in when it says so and that is what I did.
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

I asked at the dealership and was told, you can do it at 3k miles or when it says it is due. I will probably change it every 5k miles though.
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 8tsixt

I will probably change it every 5k miles though.
Me too. The DIC is nice but I still rotate tires and change oil every 5K
Old October 7th, 2007, 3:57 PM
CF Active Member

I follow the DIC, what are they going to do? Deny my warranty claim because I used the tool they provided me?
Old October 7th, 2007, 4:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Follwo the DIC, not to is a waste of money on your part, it monitors the '****' going thru the filter and tells you when the oil is dirty and to cahnge it, I am getting avoer 10,000 km to an oil change, these are not old engeins of the 90s, they dont need oil cahnged every 3000km, unless you are abusing your vehicle
Old October 7th, 2007, 8:34 PM
CF Active Member

Actually, it monitors a combination of things like temperature, RPMs, and pretty much everything except the "****" going through the filter. It's guesswork, but it isn't bad guesswork.
Old October 7th, 2007, 8:44 PM
CF Senior Member

My dealer charges me $25.00 per oil change, that's $100.00 a year. I don't mind spending $100.00 a year for this service at all.
Old October 8th, 2007, 2:07 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MalibuMaxxSS
it monitors the '****' going thru the filter and tells you when the oil is dirty and to cahnge it,

And once again, nothing could be further from the truth.

The GM Oil life monitors (OLM) crankcase temp, moisture, and combustion chamber events (totals up spark plug firings), that is it.

You can follow the OLM with no worries of engine failure; changing oil too often is also not great as dry start-up occurs each time it is done.

I recommend filling the oil filter with fresh oil prior to installing it to help reduce the effects of dry starts.

Quick Reply: Oil Changes: Trust the DIC?