Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

older model recommendation

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2016, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default older model recommendation

I am going to purchase an older model suburban for the primary purpose of transporting 6-8 people and gear to Canada 2x a year for fishing trips. It will not be a daily or even weekly driver. The trips are approx. 1000 miles each way. We may pull a small storage/canoe trailer on the trips, but would not pull anything weighing over a few thousand pounds. I am looking at 90s era or early 00s. My question is whether I need to look at the 7.4L 454 or whether a 5.7L 350 will be sufficient to haul everyone up there without overloading the vehicle. I've ruled out the 5.3L. I'd love a diesel, but they are out of the price range I'm going to spend (under 4K). Also, does having a 4L80E transmission matter that much given that towing will be infrequent and nothing really heavy?
Thanks.
Old July 7th, 2016, 1:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Based on your description the 5.7 will be fine. Our 93 easily pulled a 3,700 lb ski boat back & forth over WA passes. Still have the 93 as my spare car and find it's much happier if I drive it every week or two, vs letting it sit for weeks at a time. Need to keep the old juices flowing.