Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

OnStar Help

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OnStar Help

Just purchased a 2001 Tahoe. It has OnStar. However when I sat in the car to activate it the system said it couldnt connect to OnStar. I went in the back and looked at the antenna I noticed (what im believeing it to be) the cable that plus into the outside glass mounted antenna isnt plugged into anything. However theres nothing on the inside of the glass for ito connect to. Am I missing something in the vehicle? Please help, I would like to use OnStar.

Aaron
Aaron636r@yahoo.com
Old February 20th, 2007, 1:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OnStar Help

I believe your on-star antenna is on the roof towards the front of your vehicle. The antenna in the rear side window glass is for am/fm.
Old February 20th, 2007, 2:26 AM
CF Beginner

I dont believe thats what it is for. Its a 2001 Tahoe and doesnt hav the antenna on the roof like the newer models do
Old February 20th, 2007, 2:47 AM
CF Veteran

Sorry my bad. So there is no antenna at all on your roof?

ETA: A Cellular Looking Glass Mount Antenna should have a square (Approx 2 inch) junction box that mounts on the inside of the glass just under the outside cell antenna. This box is where the antenna wire should connect to. The signal goes from the box through the glass.
Old February 20th, 2007, 3:22 AM
CF Beginner

I have my standard fm/am radio antenna and than a small antenna on the left rear window.I see this antenna on allot of the 2000/2001 tahoe's. In lookling online it seems like its the onstar antenna. However, its "2-sided taped" to the glass with nothing behing it on the interior. Wired stuff.

Old February 20th, 2007, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Yep it definately sounds like the galss mount antenna - there usually is a little junction box where the antenna wire plugs and then it double side taped or glued to the glass just under the glass mount antenna.

Can you post a picture of your antenna and the inside just under the antenna?
Old February 20th, 2007, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

I can take a pic, however there is nothing on the inside of the glass...nothing at all. There is a cable inside my roof liner that i found, its not connect to anything. Im assuming it plugs into something that is suppose to be on the inside glass, lines up where the outside antenna is. Do you have something there that a cable plugs into??

Old February 20th, 2007, 6:59 PM
CF Veteran

Looks like you are missing the approx. 2" square box thatr the cable plugs into. Dont hold me to it, but you may be able to order a cellular glass mount antenna (Maybe the conjunction box alone) and plug your antenna into it.

While I was driving today - I saw an olderYukon with the exact glass mount antenna you have been talking about. I never knew that they were for onstar.

P.S. A side note before you get too involved into this project. OnStar plans on dropping service for analog customers 1/1/2008. A new FCC law goes into effect no longer requiring Cellular Carriers to provide analog signals. You can upgrade your onstar, but I have no idea how much it will run.
Old February 20th, 2007, 7:05 PM
CF Veteran

http://www.primecellular.com/index.a...D&ProdID=3

I found the above link to an complete glass mount antenna kit. It appears that the "junction box" is hard wired permanently, but you get the idea. Just google glass mount antenna and you will have an abundance of websites selling this stuff. I hope this helps.
Old February 20th, 2007, 7:44 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a theft recovery vehicle.
Car thieves would commonly rip out the Onstar antenna in hopes of disabling the system and preventing tracking, this is why the antenna was moved to the roof, to make it harder to access. What most thieves didn’t realize is that removing the antenna did nothing to prevent the car from being tracked.

Quick Reply: OnStar Help