Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

P0446

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2016, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbr4dsher
Having the exact same issues with 2008 Tahoe. Almost a year ago the P0449 code was being thrown and I had problems getting fuel into the tank which ended up being the purge valve. Everything was great for a few months, then the computer started throwing the damned P0446... so far I have changed out the gas cap and the vent solenoid just like you with no luck.

Guess the next cheapest option is to try and replace the ftps... sure wish I knew someone with a big lift to get the truck elevated. Guess I'll buy a couple of those ramps you see at autozone :/
Did you buy your truck new? I bought mine used and I'm starting to wonder if the previous owner had the fuel pump assembly changed before and it's not seated correctly. I know I'm tired seeing the MIL! I don't know if I can wait until spring with this expired inspection tag. Probably end up bringing it to another shop later this month.
Old January 11th, 2016, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Bought mine used from a guy who kept great records. No records indicate alteration of fuel pump assembly. I have over 170,000 miles on it now though so problems like this are a little expected.

I went and ran my code again last night and it has now changed to P0455... The P0455 large leak code is making me think: A) my aftermarket vent solenoid is not getting enough electrical power to click closed when the computer is running the vacuum test on EVAP; or B) there is an actual leak in my system and I need a smoke test done.

I'm a beginner at all this and have made a point lately to try and learn as much as I can and fix my own problems just to gain general working knowledge, but it looks like I may be needing some assistance this time unless I want to buy a digital multimeter tool to test the wiring to the evap solenoid and/or try changing out the ftps first.
Old January 11th, 2016, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jbr4dsher
Bought mine used from a guy who kept great records. No records indicate alteration of fuel pump assembly. I have over 170,000 miles on it now though so problems like this are a little expected.

I went and ran my code again last night and it has now changed to P0455... The P0455 large leak code is making me think: A) my aftermarket vent solenoid is not getting enough electrical power to click closed when the computer is running the vacuum test on EVAP; or B) there is an actual leak in my system and I need a smoke test done.

I'm a beginner at all this and have made a point lately to try and learn as much as I can and fix my own problems just to gain general working knowledge, but it looks like I may be needing some assistance this time unless I want to buy a digital multimeter tool to test the wiring to the evap solenoid and/or try changing out the ftps first.

Use OEM parts:

Amazon.com: ACDelco 23481275 GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister Vent Valve: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 23481275 GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister Vent Valve: Automotive

Amazon.com: ACDelco 13502903 GM Original Equipment Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 13502903 GM Original Equipment Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor: Automotive
Old January 11th, 2016, 7:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by GLKustoms
I think they are just lazy and trying to get me out of there. I'm tired of dealing with them also, is there a cheap way I can test the ftp sensor myself? I've changed the fuel cap now and it's still throwing the P0446 code.

I just wish they would have checked the ftp sensor. by doing that, and if it did not change readings...it would be safe to assume the leak check was good/no leak present and the sensor was the problem.
Old January 11th, 2016, 9:09 PM
CF Veteran

do you drive on dirt roads or dirty/dusty areas a lot? Dirt can wreck the evap vent system in a hurry if you don't relocate the vent, a lot of cases the charcoal canister ingests dirt and needs replaced also. If you're getting a p0446 and don't have a scantool i'd start by unhooking the lline that goes from the vent solenoid to the canister and checking for dust/dirt inside them both
Old January 14th, 2016, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
do you drive on dirt roads or dirty/dusty areas a lot? Dirt can wreck the evap vent system in a hurry if you don't relocate the vent, a lot of cases the charcoal canister ingests dirt and needs replaced also. If you're getting a p0446 and don't have a scantool i'd start by unhooking the lline that goes from the vent solenoid to the canister and checking for dust/dirt inside them both
City driving only. No dirt roads or dusty areas here.
Old January 30th, 2016, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

It is the fuel tank pressure sensor that is bad for me. Had another shop diagnose it and it read -14 with the gas cap off and vent solenoid open. I have the part now, just have to wait until the weather matches my free time.
Old January 31st, 2016, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

thanks for posting the fix!

It is easier if you lower the tank a little...some people remove the rear driveshaft too. blow all the dirt from the top of the tank, disconnect the electrical connector and pop it straight up with a trim tool or small pry bar. hopefully the old green grommet/seal comes off with the sensor. you may need to grab it with a pick if it stays behind.