Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Parking Brake rubbing after rear brake job?

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2015, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake rubbing after rear brake job?

I just completed a pad/rotor R&R on my suburban. Like an idiot, I forgot to release the parking brake before trying to remove one of the old rotors. I realized my mistake after I had tried the 10mm bolt removal trick to pry off stuck rotors.....as soon as I released the parking brake, the rotor popped off with no effort, but I wonder if I damaged the parking brake assembly when trying to pry off the rotor.

Now, I notice a slight cyclical metallic rubbing sound when at low speed. It doesn't change when the brake pedal is pressed, so I am assuming it is the parking brake slightly rubbing on the new rotor. The parking brake is harder to press as well, but it functions fine. The truck drives fine.

Should I pull off the caliper/rotor and adjust the parking brake? Does that sound like the issue? I am hesitant to do all of the rework when it could just be the new rotors/pads rubbing a bit as they bed (though I kind of doubt it, given the fact that the noise doesn't change when the brakes are applied).

Last edited by JMU2004; December 7th, 2015 at 9:24 AM.
Old December 7th, 2015, 4:32 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I would check the adjustment of the parking brakes . I would pull the rotor and check to see if you could tell what is actually rubbing and making the noise.
Old December 7th, 2015, 7:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure you didn't bend the dust shield also