Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

PICTURES let me know what you all think!

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2010, 7:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

INTENSEHID.COM has the best hids. completely weather proof. you will pay about 100 bucks for two ballast and two bulbs with harness. i had that flucker problem with cheaper ballasts. but when shopping for hids. you really get what you pay for so dont cheap out. i added the bumper cam because it is night vision and being on the bumper it alows me to get really close in tight parking wheras the factory cam just gives a big bubble vision look and is mounted between the plate lights so is higher up. the one i have installed is way better. they both work at the same time as soon as i put it in reverse. the aftermarket cam comes up on my indash DVD player that i installed and the factory one has an invisible screen in the rearview mirror that becomes visible when you put the truck in reverse.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 7:09 PM
CF Junior Member

got my kit from INTENSEHID.COM best ones out there had them on all my cars for a couple years. you buy cheap ballasts they are going to fail or flicker. i have had experience with many cheap ones and these are by far the best. and both cameras are functional. the second cam comes in handy when parking in tight spots (being on the bumper) i can get right up against something. or damn close. the factory one also works but not very trustworthy. the aftermarket cam and factory cam both come on automatically when the truck is in reverse. the aftermarket nightvision cam displays on my in dash DVD player i installed.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of bulb are you running with the fog lights? I read that because the housing is small that they wont last because they generate a lot of heat. Have you had that experience?
Did you have to modify the bulb mounting braket to install the bulb?
THX
Old August 23rd, 2010, 8:31 PM
CF Junior Member

i used an h11 bulb. same bulb as the lowbeam Hid. at the time i installed mine there was no kit for the foglight. so what i did was detach the factory bulb from the housling so it is empty. removed the foglight. trimmed the edges of the HIDbulb sheild so that it fit in perfect where the old bulb was in the foglight with no spaces and a rubber gasket. then i siliconed all aroound the edges where bulb meets housing. then to get power for the ballast i used the female end connector of the foglight harness to plug into the pos+ and neg- pins coming off of the ballast. i have had mine in for about six months and never had a problem. using them everyday.(no more than 30mins at a time). and just noticed that they are starting to melt the housing in the middle where the hid bulb is closest to the clear housing. i was browsing another forum not too long ago and discovered that they do now make a plug and play hid kit for 07-10 tahoes. the bulb is a newly designed bulb to be half the length keeping the distance from the housing further than the heat and not melt them. i also heard buzz of glass replacements. as for running 6 or 8+ hids in factory tahoe fogs will eventually fail. the heat from the hids are to intense for that plastic. ill be getting the glass replacements soon.
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The OEM rear camera on both of mine had nite vision. Can see w/o any rear lites on. With the downward vision on it, I can back up 'til almost touching a wall or bumper. But then they were both on the nav screen so maybe the rearview mirror is different. Haven't actually seen one of those.

Not sure why some are enamored w/ 8K HIDs as the illumination falls way off as you go blue and just irritates oncoming drivers but then everyone knows you have HIDs.
Old August 24th, 2010, 8:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the heads up on the HID kit, I will look into that soon to replace ours. everything else is looking good, keep it up
Old August 24th, 2010, 8:24 AM
CF Active Member

just get HIDs for my burb 4300k (if they don't have them, than 5000k).
Old August 28th, 2010, 12:08 PM
CF Active Member

grrrrrrrrr, i hate my self that i'm so cheap

I' m installed my HID's from Xentec. All went perfect. I used 10 gauge wires, relay. Hmm, all looks perfect but ... They flickering !!! "F" that !!!
I went online, to try find some solution, i tried solder all connections, install 4700uf capacitors, but still flicker (((

I hate that !!!

BTW, what a monkey engineer projected these lights ???? To replace a bulb u need to spend 30 min. with disassembling !!! OMG
Old August 28th, 2010, 8:18 PM
CF Junior Member

i had the same problem. the chep ballasts will not work for our new tahoes. i spoke to a person from the company because i had to send a flickering ballast back. the ballast you are not using probably is a cheap one that needs a certain amount of watts to ignite. buy a pair from intense hid and you will be happy for a long time. HID's look cool. had them on all of my cars. but there always a bitch to have. not the most reliable lighting source.
Old August 28th, 2010, 8:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my other car is a '99 Acura TL with the stock HIDs. I have always left them on when it is dark and they come on under battery power when I unlock the doors and when I leave the car. I have never had a problem with them with over 168000 miles on the car, light is always clear and bright with battery power or with the engine on. sounds like some of the new kits out there are just POS vs a stock system or a very high quality aftermarket kit. when I replace the Tahoe system it seems that top of the line is best case.

Quick Reply: PICTURES let me know what you all think!